Thread: rockers and pushrods

spaldingracing Guest

rockers and pushrods

Well I Pulled My Valve Cover To Adjust My Valves....because It Sounded Like An Old Sewing Machine When It Idled. It Just Ticked Away.

I Found About 6 Bent Push Rods, Just Below The Cup End. I Dont Know If Someone Over-reved The Little Six Or If They Bent From Hammering Away Because They Were Out Of Adjustment, Plus The Rocker Shaft Is Shot. So I Got Started Disassembling And Inspecting...
    Now I Found That The Bores On The Rockers Is Shot On All Of Them. Does Anyone Have A Full Rocker Shaft Assy. In Useable Condition (at A Reasonable Price), Along With A Set Of Pushrods. I Found Reman Units For About $85 Plus $50 Core Charge...which I Will Lose Too Since Mine Are Non-rebuildable.

Another Question Is When I Look At The Rockers, I Notice The Adjusting Screws Are Almost All The Way In, And There Is Still A Large Gap On All The Straight Pushrods. Are The Lifters Known To Wear? The Valve Tips Look Good.....its Odd, And I Dont Know What To Do To Fix It Right Now. I Just Hope A Tight Rocker Shaft Will Cure It. I Am On A Pretty Tight Budget Trying To Get This On The Road (baby Due In August). I Still Need A Set Of Seat Belts So I Can Take My 2 Year Old To The Weekly Cruise In's We Have Here In The Portland Area. But Its Coming Together. Its Been Storage For 18 Years.....since I Graduated High School...waiting For Me...so I Need To Be Patient.

spaldingracing Guest
    Oh Yeah....its A Stock 144 With 54k Miles.

Wish I could help. I've got a set but it's waiting for me to finish rebuilding a cylinder head. Keep an eye out on the Portland craigslist.org for people yanking the early small engines for bigger sixes or a V8. I'm not sure when exactly they went to hydraulic lifters but at that point the rockers became fixed and non-adjustable.

Have you tried crossing the river to Vancouver? There's a salvage yard called All American Classics http://www.allamericanclassics.com/ that has a few Falcons & Comets.

Also, here's a link to a thread on the Ford Six Forum talking about tips to get oil to the rocker assembly. http://fordsix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29111 Lots of good tips there. If you're not a member of that board, it's a good one to read.

Lastly, there's a club in your area called "Columbia River Falcons and Comets" if you haven't met them yet. Really nice people and I'm sure they could help you out. Let me know if you need contact information.

Hope this helps...

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)