Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Overheating on a 170 in a 1961

Just installed a new thermostat. No luck though. Car still overheats. I can see coolant circulating in the raradiator but the temp gauge pegs out after idling for about 5 mins. Is this a sign of something way worse....maybe engine wise??? I'm at a loss at what else to try......

ThermoCap

Quote Originally Posted by Notar61 View Post
    Just installed a new thermostat. No luck though. Car still overheats. I can see coolant circulating in the raradiator but the temp gauge pegs out after idling for about 5 mins. Is this a sign of something way worse....maybe engine wise??? I'm at a loss at what else to try......
    Could it be that the temperature gauge is bad? Unless the cooling system was dry it almost does not seem possible to peg the temperature gauge after only idling for five minutes.

Maybe you could try a ThermoCap to get an independent verification as to what the temperature in the radiator actually is.

ThermoCap1.jpg

See: https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Gasket-247...hermocap+2470R
    Last edited by ew1usnr; July 24th, 2016 at 02:26 PM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)

Dennis,

Yeah maybe it is the gauge or the sending unit. I feel like I've gone over everything else at least 2 or 3 times now.

I bought a new sending unit when I started throwing on all the other new cooling system parts. I just got it at a local parts store....looked the same as the old one. Is there something wrong with the new one maybe? Maybe its producing an incorrect reading, if it is the wrong sending unit for the car? Is that possible? Maybe I should get a sending unit from a resto-mod place....that way I know its the correct type for sure?

Guess I will try that radiator cap with the temperature gauge too.

Could the overheating be indicative of a bigger, more serious problem? My older brother seems to think the engine is on its last leg or something....but he always throws this suggestion out at the sign of any issue.

Hopefully I can get this figured out really soon. It's driving me up the walls.

thanks,
    Andrew

Temperature sensor

Quote Originally Posted by Notar61 View Post
    Yeah maybe it is the gauge or the sending unit. I bought a new sending unit when I started throwing on all the other new cooling system parts.
    I am just putting out ideas:

Ground the sensor while it is cool and have it connected to the gauge. The gauge should read cool. If the gauge pegs hot there is a probably problem with the sensor, or possibly the gauge.

You could test the accuracy of the sending unit by putting it in hot water. Heat the water to about 180 degrees and use a thermometer to measure it. 180 degrees should be mid-range on your cars temperature gauge. Then ground the sensor and have it connected to the gauge and drop the sensor in the hot water. The gauge should read mid-range. If it pegs hot there is a problem.

Or, just buy another temperature sending unit to replace the one you have, and see if the new sensor pegs hot the same as the previous one. If not, the problem is solved. If it reads the same, the problem is not with the sensor.

Just look at this philosphically and keep telling yourself "This is a hobby. This is a hobby." Avoid thinking about presidential politics and do not get stressed.
    Last edited by ew1usnr; July 27th, 2016 at 02:53 AM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)

Not to be a smart *** but is the thermostat in the correct way? I only bring it up because I did put mine in backwards before and she blew her top.
    Just looking for the simple stuff. Good luck.
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

Yeah I guess some sensor testing is in order. Hopefully I can get to the bottom of this.

And Dogshows, no worries on the thermostat question, but the old one was in the correct way and the new one I just installed went in the same way as well.
    (Spring towards the engine, pointy end towards the radiator).

I may be grabbing at straws here, but is it possible my oil pump is dead or in the process of dying? I had a flickering oil pressure light lately, but just figured the oil pressure switch/sensor needed to be replaced. I read somewhere that if it was on the fritz it could cause the engine to overheat pretty quick. Just a thought, although I read that it is rare that they ever go out.

Thanks again everyone for all the help on this!
    -Andrew
    Last edited by Notar61; July 27th, 2016 at 01:41 PM.

Andrew,

The temperature and fuel gauge both operate off a 5-volt voltage regulator on the back of the gauge cluster. Is the fuel gauge working well? If it too is misbehaving, then this regulator may need to be changed. It's a crude device at best and they will seriously alter your gauge readings if bad.

Also, there is overheating and there is high temperature gauge readings. Overheating is blowing coolant out somewhere. High temp readings can be checked for using any of the things like Dennis suggested checking for.

Of course, if the water is flowing, the thermostat has to be opening. You can often use that point, at which it opens and water begins to flow, as a "read" for what the gauge is showing. Stock gauges have no temps written on them, so if you have a 180° thermostat and you watch the gauge, when you see water just start to flow look at the needle on the gauge. If it is already pegged at that point, you can rest knowing it is not reading right. If it is reading low at that point, yet continues to climb - then you may have something totally unusual causing the overheating. These would include everything from a shot water pump, leaky head gasket, cracked block, cracked head, or the engine is on its last leg. But really, as a motor gets old and sloppy, it tends to make less heat than more of it. Ring friction is at a minimum as is cam-lobe friction, which causes a lot of heat.

By now it sounds as though you have changed all the obvious things, so the question I guess I'm asking, is it a blow its lid overheating or simply an indication via temp gauge of overheating, but nothing is spewing?
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"