Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cancer in suspension

Well.......

The floor pans under the carpet actually look normal but I have not removed the seats to see what it looks like either.

I found a frame/body shop close to home where I'll take it at the end of the week. The feedback I got was the same as in this forum, convertibles are mostly susceptible to rust, I shared pictures with them and they want to get a close inspection to see if we can put in place a game plan. Repairing pieces at a time so that the cost is not overwhelming. All in all I think that this visit will help me decide what to do with her, whether there is an action plan or whether she goes up for sale to someone who needs a lot of good parts and will scrap when done.

I'll post my findings this saturday, stay tuned

Status

Well, I located a body-frame-hot rod shop about 6 miles from here in Canyon Country. We put her up on the rack and saw all the cancer. Looks like the repair is doable as you guys knew it would be, but it won't be cheap. The Rocker panels, both rear quarter panels, the floor boards and a couple other supports. Not to mention anything else that is presently not visible like interior panels.

I thought about it and decided to look down the road and go for it. The car was left at the shop this morning and further inspection will be done this week in order to determine the action plan. The plan will be to repair all of the frame rot that is presently making the car unsafe. Depending on how much we spend there I'll think about having her repainted.

More details to come.

Stay tuned

The pain of writing the check is only temporary. Next year you won't even remember how much it cost - you will just be enjoying sun on your neck and the wind in your face. Keep us updated.

UPDATE - on my 64

Ok, so the frame shop has taken a good crack at listing what we will need to get going on bringing her back on track and even suggested possibly getting a donor car. Here is what they listed:

Rear frame assembly,
    Complete floor assembly from firewall to rear bumper
    Right and left inner and outer rockers
    Left and right rear quarter panels
    Outer wheel wells
    Rubber body mount kit

1.- do you guys know who may have some of these pieces ?
    2.- what other cars use the same parts (comet & mustang?)
    3.- can non convertible cars be used to find these pieces?
    4.- will parts from a falcon or comet wagon work?

I will start calling the local wrecking yards tomorrow.

thanks guys....

Erick

I'm sure that a lot of the parts are interchangeable underneath for the 60-65 cars. Most of the changes you'll find are above the rocker. I looked under my wagon and compared some of what I could to your pictures. All similar enough to use as patch pieces. Most of the floor panels are available new.

Some of the photo's you took don't show the evidence for all that you list they claim is absolutely needed, but I'm sure they've pointed a lot of that out to you in person. Right?
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"