Thread: Nexzt Question Transmission Fluid

Nexzt Question Transmission Fluid

OK...the "new" falcon was hauled home today and....besides the battery being dead (I will put a trickle charger on tonight) it is leaking transmission fluid.....not sure how much but the truck had a puddle of about 10 inches on it so it was a fair amount. I will check and see if there is any damage to the pan due to the hauling company...in any case...

It is a 3 speed automatic with overdrive...I'm assuming an AOD. what type of transmission fluid do I need? I believe I read somewhere that different brands of transmissions need different types of fluid otherwise they can be damaged?

Also....If it is empty I assume I should not start the car until I have new fluid in it?

I'm confident that it was not leaking when it left New York but can't be sure. The seller has been great and seems to be a straight up fellow but...I guess I could be wrong...

thanks
    Hal

Hal..start it up & check the stick, the converter still must have fluid in it,napa can tell you what kind of atf to get ...the sellers are always great and always tell the truthjohn h

The C4 and C6 was a three speed. The AOD was a four speed. I supposed one could call it a three speed plus overdrive. I always thought of them as four speeds with forth being overdrive.

Anyway, the Fordomatic, C4, C6, and FMX will use type "F" fluid. Ford switched to Mercon V with the C5 and AOD.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

Was able to get part way underneath...but not having much time to jack it up etc hard to tell where it is coming from....but...it is at the rear of the transmission...there appears to be some sort of electrical plug in around where the leak is coming from....
    Will email the seller and find out for sure what transmission I have.

The leak is more than a drop...have a puddle there and the car has not been started for over a week...

Interesting....
    Hal

It's easy to identify a C4 vs AOD tranny. The C4 will be a small square pan. The AOD is rectangular that tapers to one end. Look at the photo for an idea on the AOD.

Patrick Brown

Looks like an AOD pan, which is what the seller had told me. The car has not been started for some time (week) and I checked the fluid....it is way over the full mark.....is that normal?

Is it because when the car is started and the fluid then goes through out the transmission and it needs to be checked then?

I guess once I get it started I can get it to a mechanic to check out the leak....frustrating but something I will have to deal with....
    thanks
    Hal

Just caught this discussion by accident. For one reason or another, the shop that rebuilt my C-4 recommended GM fluid. I'll be draining my fluid soon and wonder if I should change over - you never really can get all of it out even if you drain the converter.
    Thor Johnson
    www.flickr.com/photos/sedanman
    Low & Slow '64 2dr Sedan
    Stock(for now)200 I-6, Lokar shifted C-4, Wedge kit,V-8 coils, dropped granada spindles/discs,GT leaves,3.0 8 inch

You can change to a different type right after a rebuild. Once the clutches are wet with type F you are stuck with type F. The modern replacement parts and seals work well with Dexron. FYI - the last year of the C4 (1980) used Mercon.
    Patrick Brown