Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steering arms???

Steering arms???

Does anyone know if the steering arms on Falcons are different than mustangs?
    I'm curious if they are shorter than the falcon ones. I know there is a difference in the 6 vs 8 cyl. Thanks
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

My steering arms are universal and work on any car. They can even operate the shifter and radio knobs. They vary in length from person to person.

Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

Patrick made a funny?

And he was still technically correct!

I didn't know what is common, but I use Rock Auto a lot to see if they call out the same part number for other cars. A poor mans interchange.

65 Falcon with V8

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...&parttype=7428

65 Mustang with V8

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...&parttype=7428
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

I might be using the wrong term here.. I'm questioning the part that the tie rod goes into. The arm off of the spindle.

Thanks for the laugh Patrick I almost fell for the whole thing..
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

I'm curious about the reason for the original question. Do you have concerns over your now larger turning radius? If so, you should know that the rack and pinion kit from Unisteer and RRS and some others use the Chevy Caviliar rack which has a shorter lock to lock travel. This means you have a bigger turning circle.

I don't think there is a large difference in the steering arm length if any. We can get some measurements from various cars to see.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

Did you already remove the stops on the strut ends (used on the 6'r front end)? Just curious whether the tighter turning radius is induced by the rack or the stops.

It was a nice simple install that Unisteer kit. I'm not liking the steering in the Ranchero post-V8 install, but wondering how much less a turning radius you really have now?
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

You guessed correctly, my turning radius is not what is used to be..
    I did remove the old 6 cyl stops before the rack and that helped but still not right. That was the reason for the rack. I love the rack the steering and the ease of the kit to put in. I am going to measure my turning radius and see where i am at now.. A stock power steering 65 mustang is 38 ft, they installed the same kit as mine and their turning radius went to 37 ft.
    I called Unisteer and they told me that the Falcons and some mustangs would loose a little in their turning radius.. I feel I've lost about 20%. I can live with it but I would rather fix it if I can and it was suggested to me to check that part of the spindle to see if there were different lengths.
    Looking under the car nothing is hitting so right now it's the rack running out of travel.
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

I think you had '64 spindles, but measure those against the Granada ones you have. I can measure mine tomorrow when I get home from some errands I have to run first-thing. Mine are 65 V8 Falcon.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"