Thread: Shock absorber recommendations

Shock absorber recommendations

I have a stock 1963 hardtop with a 260 V8 and would like some opinions on what would be good replacement shocks.

Garbriel? KYB? Monroe?

My car presently has MOPAR shocks:

Mopar Shock right rear.jpg

O'Reilly auto parts has Monroe-Matic shocks for $19.99 / 20.99 front and rear.

They have KYB GR2/Excel G shocks for $52.21 / 29.99 front and rear.

Gabrielle has something called "Classic" that is made for older cars.

Would new lower front shock mounts be most likely necessary? They are $29.99 each at Dearborn Classics:

Ford lower shock mount.jpg

You have a lot of choices at Rock Auto. I've used the Monroe SensaTrac on both of my Falcons and they are nice. KYB offers two types as seen in the listing below and I've heard lots of good things with them, but have never felt the extra cost was justified. Others may have other opinions, or greater demands requiring better.

As for the lower spring perch, which the shock also attaches to, this would require pulling the front coil springs to replace. They are inexpensive, true, but would be better replaced at the same time you are rebuilding the rest of the front-end... or in other words you risk opening up the big dose of "while I'm at it" when you get started and before you know it you'll be swapping upper and lower control arms, sway bar bushings, and you may as well get a 1" version of that while you are at it.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...&parttype=7556
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"