Thread: 1965 Comet

1965 Comet

Hey guys I have a 80 year old customer with a 65 Comet with 42000 miles on it. I guess it keeps popping out of park, and a local shop says he needs a new shifter collar, and a plate. Im presuming that is the detent plate. I guess they are having some problems locating the parts. Does any one have any of these they want to sell? or know of a place to buy them at a reasonable price? Hes a really nice old guy, who is very proud of his car. Its his driver. Thanks guys!
    Bill Proctor .. 1963 Falcon Sprint. Looking forward to learning new things.

I know the detent plate varies with the transmission used in the car. Is it a C4 or a 2-speed automatic. I have a detent plate in my bag of goodies I will never use, but I have no clue what transmission it is for. I doubt I have the collar, but I may have that in the pile of parts people tend to leave with me after the swap meets. I've got to go through all that stuff soon. If I find anything, I'll let you know.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Gary MacDonald
    ROGER's...
    EX... '63 Hardtop
    Had...
    Scarebird front discs
    200 w/ CI alum head
    C4

Quote Originally Posted by MacDee View Post
    But this is for a manual transmission - is it not? I think the automatic would have the pointer to point to the gear you are in.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

This:

http://www.falconparts.com/ford-falc...TS-193p891.htm

And this:

http://www.falconparts.com/ford-falc...TS-193p788.htm

Bill, you might want to give him the heads up that these may be the way he'll have to go if he/we can't find used. I will look tonight at the detent I have to see if it matches this picture. I honestly can't recall where mine came from. I have converted 3 vehicles to floor shift and in doing so did steering column shift-deletes. So it came from something I got for all that.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"