Thread: Brake upgrades

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Brake upgrades

Ok so I still have the factory brakes on my 63 falcon. Drums in the rear and front. I was considering the front disc brake conversion kit that’s for sale on falconparts.com. Does anyone here have experience with these kits? I plan on this car being a weekend driver. I want to upgrade the brakes before I mess with the engine and trans. Probably just a rebuild of the inline 6. Thanks!
    Last edited by Soft Taco 84; April 8th, 2018 at 10:21 PM.
    Richard C
    Sanford, Florida

1963 Ford Falcon Futura Convertible
    170 Straight 6
    Dagenham 4 speed

Consider a Scarebird swap as well. We've done a couple here and they use a lot of off-the-shelf OEM parts. Makes buying parts cheap and readily available. We have a couple threads here - just search threads with scarebird in them.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Heard about Scarebird swap before, sounds they really got reliable parts. Can't wait to start on our Falcon project here, just finishing up the installation of the new rack and tonneau cover on the current truck project before we take a look at the Falcon. I'll check those threads here as well.

"upgrade"

Quote Originally Posted by Soft Taco 84 View Post
    I still have the factory brakes on my 63 Falcon. I was considering the front disc brake conversion kit that’s for sale on falconparts.com. I plan on this car being a weekend driver. I want to upgrade the brakes before I mess with the engine and trans. Probably just a rebuild of the inline 6. Thanks!
    Hello, Richard.

Here is my alternate take on a disc brake "upgrade": Rebuild the drum brakes and leave your car in its original configuration.

After you have the engine rebuilt, drive your car for 20,000 miles and then consider if you still want to convert the brakes to a disc system. That would provide a "before and after" comparison to let you know if the disc brakes were really much of an improvement after you made the change.

Disc brakes are less susceptible to overheating and brake fade than drum brakes during high performance driving, but is that necessary for a weekend driver 170 Falcon?
    Last edited by ew1usnr; April 18th, 2018 at 03:39 AM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)