Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tire size...61

Tire size...61

Any know the origional tire size of a 61 four door? (Origional painted wheels, bottle cap hub caps.)
    I can't seem to find it for certain.
    Four of mine are modern tires...I eventually want to go back to the origional looking style...and I'm also not sure how these old tire sizes work (other than the diameter).
    My spare is a 6.00 x 13 really old tire, Peerless brand...but not sure if it's original. It fits on the wheel fine.
    Would that have to be the original size? or could it also be a 6.5 x 13?
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

6.00x13 original
    6.5 x13 would have been optional
    7.00x13 would have been wagon and ranchero

Wheel were 13x5, 13x5.5, or 13x6

You will have to order tires from specialty places like, corker, wheel vintques
    To get radials that look like old bias ply tires..

You going for the 7/8s white walls too?

Falcon sedans look cool with white walls..

I'm just too frugal to spend extra for them... though portal walls are intriguing
    Nathan and Jen Cooper
    63 Sprint Hardtop "Dollora"
    63 Super deluxe squire wagon "Mayble"
    * this spot is vacant for future project*

Tires

Here is a link that references tire sizes for 6, 6 1/2, and 7 inch wide wheels.

http://www.vintagecarconnection.com/...sion_chart.htm

It is hard to find 13-inch whitewalls. I ended up with 175/80/R13 tires in a brand called Milestar for $79.95 each.

Milestar whitewall.jpg

See:
    http://www.tiresall.com/Milestar-MS7...S-WW-A-S/1392/
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)

175/80r13 is a little on the short side.

Ideally you want 185/80r13 as they are the closest to original size.

Maxxis m1a was the only tire that I can find still produced. They produce on batch a year so you better find and buy them when available.
    With shipping best I could find was $112 a tire.

Needless to say I bought 14" wheels instead.

There's a guy near me selling 14" four lug early mustang wheels $60.

Then locate 14" wheel covers. Im going for 14" wires that look like 13
    Nathan and Jen Cooper

Tires

I think that you are correct on the Maxxis 185/80R13 tire, at least for my V-8 Futura with 5 lug, 6.5 x 13-inch wheels.

The Maxxis will fit a 5 - 6.5" wide rims.
    See: http://www.cokertire.com/maxxis-185-80r13.html
    You can get them for $104.89 each with Free shipping from Amazon.

Firestone offers 13-inch whitewall 155, 165, 175, and 185/80 sizes See Firestone FR380 whitewall tires: http://www.tireboy.com/firestone_fr380.htm
    But ......
    The Firestone 185/80R13 will only fit 4.5 - 6" rims.
    See: http://www.tireboy.com/firestone_fr380_tire_specs.htm

It looks like Milestar discontinued the 175/80 R13 and now only have a 155/80R13.
    See: http://www.milestartire.com/tires/ms775

This page: http://www.automobile-catalog.com/ti...r_260_v-8.html
    says that a Sprint is supposed to have 165/80R13 tires. I think that they made a mistake and were referencing standard 6" x 13" wheels and a Sprint had 6.5" x 13" wheels.
    Last edited by ew1usnr; July 9th, 2014 at 06:41 AM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)

Not sure about the link above, but a 6.00x13 tire has a diameter of 24.5"

The closest we have today is the 185/80r13 at 24.7

If you can get firestone 380s you are luckier than I am.

The only tire I could find was the maxxis m1a that was a new tire and not a tire sitting on a shelf in some guys garage for the last 10 years.

There were lots of tires listed but never any available.

Unless i visited Corker tire..

Trailer tires was the only tire readily available.

Like I said. Its easier to find 14" so I went that route. But in a few years 14s will become a speciality tire like the 13.
    Nathan and Jen Cooper

Wow, thanks for all this info....

So, the 6.00 vs 6.50 is the tread width at the widest part?
    AND, either one of these sizes should fit the same origional wheels I have? or does the 6.5 need a wider wheel?

The 4 tires on my car that touch the road now are:
    Kumho Power Star Radials, 185/70 R13 black walls. I have always felt they are short and just look small. (Thanks for the diameter info Nathan.)
    Based on your info, I measured them...I get 22 3/4 inches in diameter. (Tread is like new.)

My spare (much older...can't tell how old..old date code ending in "8" might be 1968, maybe 78):
    This one is a Peerless, 6.00 x 13 (says on the side it replaces 5.90 x 13). This one is a 4 ply Nylon. (The strange thing is the tread looks a little worn, but it has an unreadable Discount Tire Co. sticker on it...maybe it was bought used? Was the spare tire an option on a cheaper model falcon? I can see my Grandfather buying that wheel later to save a buck and putting a used tire on there..)
    Anyway, the diameter is 24 1/4 inches. An inch and a half bigger than the others.

I do like the radial ride-especially since I don't plan to drive it every day and 4 ply will thump, thump thump, but I want the origional look. I kind of prefer the black walls actually...that's how my Granddad had it...and he would never want to keep those white walls clean, but I have to admit the large white walls in the old falcon brochures look pretty nice.

The tires now look small and puny and modern, and the car looks lower than it should be (but not in a good way..) I kind of like the old funny looking skinny tire look.

So, I think I definitely prefer the 6.00 or 6.50 to get the larger diameter.

I went to the Coker website...(all sickenly expensive but WTH)

For the 600x13, only two options...really one, the BF Goodrich 4 ply (I think 4ply...it doesn't say), with whitewalls...pick either 1" or 2". The 2" looks pretty nice. Looks like the tire in the falcon brochure. (See if this link will work..)
    http://www.dograt.com/WordPress/wp-c...falconad01.jpg
    BUT, did they pair these white wall tires with the wheels with the bottle cap hub caps? Not sure it would look right.

However, if I go 650x13, there are a lot more options. Including...an American Classic black wall, 24.6 diameter...which is actually a radial that doesn't look like a radial...same price as the BF Goodrich whitewall 4 ply. Looks like it belongs on the car except a tad wide. I don't think the tad wide is as noticeable.

I'm glad to know about the diameter of the 185/80 r13...I'm afraid it will still look like a modern tire. So, If I am going to change, I might as well do the classic tires.

Back to my first question...6.00 or 6.50 should both fit my wheel?

Also...if anyone is interested in the 4 tires I have now...I'm happy to let them go when I finally make the change, not a crack on them yet and no tread wear at all...let me know if anyone is interested and for paid club members a deal you can't refuse for sure. Thanks!
    Last edited by dhbfaster; July 9th, 2014 at 09:13 PM.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

185X.70X2/25.4+13= diameter..

Above formula only works for metric tires and is rounded number not 100% exact.

To answer your question all three tire options will fit all the wheel options, BUT... it could affect appearance and ride handling.

You need to find out how wide your wheels are. The wider the better.. let me explain.

A really wide tire on a narrow rim makes the tires look balloonist and causes tire scrub (might be the wrong term) in cornering situations. Not good

Skinny tires on a wide rim actually makes the tires shorter and wider looking but narrower contact patch.. gotta stretch to make them fit.. not good either..

Ideal would be middle sized wheel choice with the 6.50 tire..

Most tire manufactures will list recommend rim widths..

My 65 f100 just got 15x8 wheels.. max tire width is 12.5"
    Which is past my comfort zone. 10.5 wide is my plan.. 9.5 is what I have for now.
    Last edited by Nathan289; July 9th, 2014 at 09:54 PM.
    Nathan and Jen Cooper

Makes sense...do I just measure the width at the outside of the rim at the outter diameter of the wheel?
    If so, looks like it's 5 inches.

On the Coker site,
    the 600 tires have recomended rim width of 4-4.5
    the 650 tires all have recomended rim width of 4.5-5.0
    (the 700x13 tires, which is says are station wagon only, it recomends 4.5-6 inch rim.)

So, seems like I'm best off with the 650?
    How do you know all this stuff Nathan??
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Wheel width us measured inside to inside.. or bead surface to beaf surface.
    if you're measuring 5" more than likely you have the 4.5 wheel.

You'll be fine with the 6.50

Appears I was a little off on my factory widths. Been a while since I measured the factory wheels.

Imna modern tire size guy. First thing I change is tires and wheels. Usually got big like 16's or 17's.

One the cars I kept 13's it was install 185/80r13 and done.

The latest wagon is getting 14's.. the one size wheel I haven't messed with yet.

How do I know all this stuff? Im a gear head with a photo graphic memory. If I pay attention and read the page numbers I could tell you where exactly in a book I read something.

Plus many years of working in the auto repair industry. . Used to run a tire store in my youth.

Free advice.. never turn a hobby into a career.. it ruins the hobby. Took me ten years to get back to enjoying my hobby.
    Plus life got in the way.. still does.. but I try my best
    Nathan and Jen Cooper

Nathan...getting a little closer to this tire decision
    I found these 185/70r13 tires at pep boys
    http://www.pepboys.com/tires/details...C/575146/01474
    Based on the estimate from your formula they would be about 24.4" diameter, about 1.2" bigger than my 185/70r13's I have now and about the same as the 600 or 650-13's sold by Coker which says they are 23.8 to 24.6.
    These tires at pep boys are "trailer tires" however. Does that mean I don't want them? Or is that just that these are really auto tires marketed for trailers now?
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

You don't want trailer tires.

They're designed different and I doubt pep boys would install them on a passenger car.

Search online, there is a place that had the maxxis m1a. My local les Schwab could order them too. But at $104 a tire I decided to locate 14" wheels.

Price a set of 185/70r14 tires and be prepared to change your shorts..
    Because they're about half the cost of 13s plus you have choices.
    Nathan and Jen Cooper

I don't know about trailer tires vs car tires... but I would wait on tires until the very last purchase.

1) No matter how carefull your painter is, you will likely get some kind of over spray on your nice tires. Mine have primer that I cant get off. Maybe you have or can borrow some worn out rollers mounted on rims.

2) As you know... rubber degrades over time. Depending on who you believe, 5 to 10 years is the useful life. Why burn up 5% or 10% of the life before they see pavement.

3) If there is some kind of unlikely manufactures defect in a tire it will be a year before you discover it. More difficult conversation with the counter guy.
    Last edited by Jeff W; October 12th, 2014 at 10:17 AM.

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA
    '63 Tudor Wagon (170 - 3 spd.)

To bolster what Jeff has related concerning age of tires, I have found that dealers won't touch tires that are more than 10 years old. My favorite dealer here in Everett has told me that it is illegal for him to work on 10 year + tires.

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

I knew that about tire age, but good point and thanks for the reminder. I can imagine tires that are a bit more rare are possibly a few years old when sold too. I'll try to find a set not already old when I buy them. I'll just get things all planned out now so I know what and where I can buy them. After I have the wheels painted, I will buy new tires and not until the wheels are ready to go back on the car.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree