Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine Shop

Engine Shop

I am wondering if anyone has a good engine shop recommendation in Seattle. I recently purchased a 66/67 240 that had been sitting since the mid 80's to swap with the worn one currently in the van. The engine had a rebuild less than 5K before it was pulled and stored due to an accident. Long story short I was hoping to flush it out and swap out the exterior parts (Manfolds, pumps, distributor, carb, etc) and get going. I pulled the head today to discover it has a bit more buildup than I had hoped (pictures below are after I shop-vac'd the top of the pistons). Cylinder 2 is the worst as pictured. I am sure it had much to do with the position of the crank and valves when stored (Perhaps the intake valve was open for 25 years?). The crank and pistons look real clean, guy said 5k was on the rebuild I would guess less.

Anyway I would like to take the head in to have it cleaned and acid dipped and perhaps have them do the valves as well. I would also like to pull the main and pistons out and have the block cleaned and painted (While I'm this far, right?).

Recommendations?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Brian
    '67 Falcon Bus/240/C4/Offy DP/MSD Duraspark II/Holley 4160

Anyone have experience with these guys:

http://www.metaldipping.com/project.php
    Brian

I've never heard of the place you had a link for but it looks interesting. I used a place called Hill Machine Headworks off Leary, between Ballard and Fremont. They did a great job but took a looooong time. I think that was mainly due to the fact that I told them to take their time because I was months out from needing it. Very happy with the end results though!

Do you plan on doing a little porting and polishing? You get a lot of bang for your buck there. Probably 3 or 4 hours will get you 90% of the optimum.

Also, if you can afford to have the shop turn down the bosses that the valve stems come up through, a nice upgrade is to install teflon seals. If you just want to use the older, rubber, umbrella style, let me know. I have a box full I will donate. They are for a 144/170/200 so you'll have to check if they fit a 240.

Also, I have a valve clamp I'm sure I won't be using for many years. Let me know if you ever need it and I'll send it home with Jeff (we work together).

I have some photos of the head I was working on in my blog. Just click on my user name above and go down to "View Blog".

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

I know this is probally further than you'd like to go but I've been using A&I Auto Parts in Snohomish. Paul runs the machine shop. I've used him for 13 years and He built three race motors for me and never had one come apart and I turn my motors at 7200 Rpm on the track at Evergreen Speedway>.He's currently doing a 347 for me. If you're interested the number is 360-568-3181 and ask for Paul.

I have used Jim Green Performance for two engines. I've only had the machine work done and do all assembly myself. They do good work but are not cheap.

The work Kenny had done looked really good and I would consider them for future work.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

I've been dealing with Rob at Action Machine up at 175th and Aurora. He's been there for as long as I can remember and has always been up-front and helpful for the 10 some-odd engines I've built in the past 30 years. I plan to bring a 289 I have laying around here to them sometime early spring. I got it off Craigslist a couple years ago and it was supposedly all reworked -- but want to have them check it all out.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

I've talked to the guys at Action Machine a few times and bought some bearings and freeze plugs there. Seemed really nice and helpful. A real working shop. I was thinking I may try them for my next project.

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

Thank you all for your input. I called Headworks in Ballard, but they are booked out at least a month so they sent me to Action. Just dropped the head off today and based on the lack of a surprised look I assume everything will look good when done. I am going to have them take care of the valves and seals as well.

I also located a rebuilt block in Port Orchard that should put me in fast forward getting this Van rolling down the road.
    Brian

I picked my head up from Action today, I barely recognized it. It looks brand new, all items were stripped and replaced. They use a different valve seal technology as well, it looks pretty durable. I was so excited I already bolted it on. This is coming together smoothly and more importantly in time for my hoist and swap party on 2/5.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Brian

What did these guys charge you for the job?
    If it's running, take it apart and see why.

It was about 475 out the door. Included everything even a new set of rockers. They spared nothing from the original.
    Brian

That seems like a pretty good deal. I'm looking at more than that in just parts for a 260 engine.
    If it's running, take it apart and see why.

That looks really great! I'd say it was a good and fair price. Looking forward to seeing it up close.

It's nice to get an engine to the point where you know what's been done to it and know it was done right. It should be good for another 45 years at least!

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

Pretty awesome - I think.

Looked like a lot of pitting on the underside in and near the combustion chamber. Was that a really rough surface? I'd be a little concerned this could be a place where carbon deposits might be allowed to form - ultimately causing predetonation. Anybody else have any thought about this possibility? I'm sure if it was still Rob who works there, he'd have said something if it were a problem. I'm a bit picky too. Shave too much off and you'd have problems too.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"