Page 59 of 60 FirstFirst ... 94957585960 LastLast

Thread: Reconstruction has begun.

Quote Originally Posted by doghows View Post
    First baby burn out since the swap for the 8.8 rear axle.

Yup it works!
    "Only need to replace my plate-glass windows now...."

Two black marks is good.

Question for you. Are you using 5 on 4.5" wheels all the way around - so this 8.8" is that? Not planning to go there, but maybe the rear-disc setup on yours will work on an 8" small-tube. I know at some point the 5 on size changed to something metric or something, but early Ford stuff was 5 on 4.5".
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Yes same wheels all around 5 on 4.5".
    I think a lot of guys in the bronco world are using the discs off the 8.8" on the 9" rear axle, the only thing I can think of is the tube size. The 8.8 is like a 3.25" tube but it has the same four bolts holding the backing plate to the housing. We'll have to check it out next time we're in the same place!

On a side not I did move over to be in front of the roll up doors before said burn out. I thought the same thing. ? I don't want to replace my shop windows, I better move over!?
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

Thanks. There is a rear-disc brake setup on eBay for $449 (complete) and initial contact with the seller said it uses OEM parts, but didn't yet divulge what these OEM parts were. I resist using parts I need to get from some obscure on-line seller, or something that Wilwood can say "Oh, we discontinued that item...." leaving me stranded.

Smart man moving...
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

After several road trips (on non rainy days) the delivery is doing awesome. Cruises smoother down the road than it ever has! RPM's are exactly where I wanted them and when I stomp the skinny pedal it's a whole new experiance when the back end starts to get squirrelly on burn outs.
    No more embarrassment leaving a one tire fire! Now I need to save up for some new rear tires!??
    If anyone is contemplating this swap I say go for it! Easy effective and now I've got a 3:73 posi, 31 spline axle, disc brake rear axle.
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

Ok winter project number two is under way. My spare valve cover got polished and installed. Now to polish up the air intake tube and upper intake.
    This is gonna suck, I have about 20 hours into the valve covers!?!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

Doesn't powder coat come in polish?
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

No I wish it did. They have some called "chrome" and "polished aluminum" but in my opinion they suck compared to the real deal. On round tube it looks good but still not chrome.
    I know I can't afford chrome plating, so I'm just polishing all this aluminum myself.
    On a secondary note, WIAI I'd like to stiffin up the suspension a bit. What's a good set of shocks to run? Bilstein or KYB? I might try for upgraded front sway bar and add a rear before show season. We'll see how $$ and time allow.
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

KYB's a good choice... but it's hard to get much stiffening from shocks alone. Can't hurt though.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"