Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Truck V8

Truck V8

I was initially going to re-install a flathead back in the 49 F1 Ford truck that I bought but now I might be leaning at installing a 289/302/351/? with a C4 auto or maybe a stick? Two reasons I might go that way. 1. The initial cost of rebuilding a flathead is a lot more than I realized. 2. Drivability of the old engine/tranny.
    I probably will lose some money from those folks that want a flathead. Still groping for the answer.
    SOOOOO....anyone have a running 289/302etc sitting around that you want to get rid of for a decent cost? Thanks Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

I have a 393 based on a 351W roller block and a C4 sitting around.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

I know where there's a 289ci 4bbl engine that can be gotten cheap (negotiate with my son). It's from a '67 Mustang that was a C-4 car. It's complete.... minus carb, disributer, starter, and maybe exhaust manifolds. On a stand right now.
    Last edited by SmithKid; September 12th, 2014 at 04:33 PM.

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

Truck V8

Thanks for the messages. Pat, what all is with the engine you have. is it just a block, short block, long etc?

The 289 also sounds good. Is it in decent running shape or will it need repairs/rebuild.

Thanks again. Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

All that is known about the 289 is that the "Previous Owner" said it was a good running engine when it was replaced by a 351 Cleveland engine with a pretty wild cam (Too wild to be a decent town driver. My son replaced cam). It has been kept dry on his engine stand. I'd be tempted to try and fire it up and make my own judgement from there if I was getting it.

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

And if you would like the (289 4v) engine, all you have to do is come pick it up and it's yours. The P/O said it was solid but I don't plan to do anything with it. it was numbers matching for a car I recently sold.

If nothing else, the heads are worth something but I really don't want to mess with it.

I've got a picker at the house so if you come with a truck or a trailer, we can load it easily and off you go. I live right near Boeing in S. Everett.

Reed Smith

Truck V8

Thanks I will come pick it up. When do you want me to come by, and if you want to call me my cell phone is 425-359-8521. Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Quote Originally Posted by BadBird View Post
    Thanks I will come pick it up. When do you want me to come by, and if you want to call me my cell phone is 425-359-8521. Larry
    Sounds good. I work from home and am not traveling this week so most anything can work. Will be around all day tomorrow and home in the evening tomorrow as well.

I'll give you a call tomorrow to set something up.

/Reed

Ah man... I wanted that motor.

But happy Larry is getting it.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"