Page 10 of 43 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Saving Granddad's Falcon

Don, OK, since you said please. I probably have your address somewhere, but if you could PM it to me again I'll throw that in the mail to you - stat. Wish I would have remembered it today.

I am pretty impressed with how much is already on the car. Who did all the glass and door handles, etc.?
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Thanks Roger!
    Phil did the glass, rebuilt the doors, and the installed door handles. (Left me the rear locks ) Actually he took care of everything inside of the doors, and rebuilt the doors...and there was quite a bit to it. Rusted channels that had to be replaced, etc. Some parts he bought where we bought the fender, and I think some he had, some I bought. There was some other nice work on the door trim too...more later. Relatives visiting!
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Having those details done by Phil was a great idea. You would be surprised how long and finicky that stuff is. That really set you up to get it done in time for the mini. It is looking just super and I am proud of you.

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA
    '63 Tudor Wagon (170 - 3 spd.)

Thanks Jeff...and I would NOT be surprised how finicky that stuff is. It seems like everything has been finicky.
    I got a chance to get it out in the sun today...here's a better picture.
    My friend also finished the carb...I hope it works as good as it looks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Car looks nice sitting in YOUR driveway Don.
    Phil

Don - that carb looks nice. Good to see one of those not all warped to heck.

Hopefully the adapter I sent arrived already. Would hate to see that go missing in the USPS black hole.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

The adapter showed up in yesterday's mail Roger - Big thanks -

Almost all the family is gone this week and weekend- looks like a short honey-do list and then... a falcon weekend for me. That should mean at least one full day.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Started to reassemble the heater tonight. Bought the heater seal kit with all the little foam seals...but no adhesive? Any recommendation as to what kind of adhesive to use?

Ok, one more carb pic just for fun.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

3M black weatherstrip adhesive. You'll use it other places too.

Carb looks pristine inside. Very nice.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

A slightly different way.... I used another 3M product: the same spray adhesive that I used on my carpet underlay. Got it at Freddies.

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

Quote Originally Posted by SmithKid View Post
    A slightly different way.... I used another 3M product: the same spray adhesive that I used on my carpet underlay. Got it at Freddies.
    What I used when I rebuilt mine and what I'd use to do again. Would have to go to the shop for the exact product number. I recommend it for the door panel moisture shields too, much better than the more commonly used strip caulk which functions rather poorly as an adhesive IMO.
    Phil

All well and good, but keep in mind you have far greater potential for over-spray using the spray adhesive. Be careful with it!

And if you doing small parts the squeeze tube 3M adhesive (in black) can be applied in a small-tight location. The function is identical to spray adhesive as well as something like Wellwood contact cement, which is also an option.

All have their benefits, of course.

Strip-caulk was used on water shields to (technically) allow the shield to be pulled back without ruining the shield. Doesn't always work, but you'll want it to. I find old strip caulk on cars/trucks that has dried to stone, but the black 3M stuff I use now I'll have to wait 50 years to see what it looks like then.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"