Page 31 of 43 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Thread: Saving Granddad's Falcon

Quote Originally Posted by dhbfaster View Post
    I looked in the old pictures, and it was slightly different than how I have it now. It still went left, but didn't hug the metal lines like I have it doing now.
    It's bad enough that they didn't add a heater control valve to shut off the flow of water through the base of the carburetor - so even in the middle of summer hot water flows through that. It's just not needed except on those cold foggy mornings which are perfect for inducing throttle plate icing. In general fuel likes to be cool. On my wagon I added a manual heater control valve to stop the flow of hot water through the heater hose. Car ran so much better in the summer after doing that. Anyway, a heater hose hard-up against the fuel line should always be avoided when you can. Easy fix, though you'll have to drain some water to do it.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Roger, do you feel like taking the upholstery stuffing and my old gas tank to the upcoming swap meet- is it worth any money for the club? Also- what about the engine stand? I don't have any room for it, but if it will bring the club some money it's a good thing. (Although I do hate to jinx things...you know how that goes. ) I also have some other salable stuff if you feel like taking it.

Unless anyone wants the old hood (tweaked a bit) it's also going to recycling Saturday. It's some great yard art or painting practice for someone...but it has to go. This darn storage unit is costing me a fortune. Storage unit costs more in a year than all the stuff inside it is worth.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

One more question Roger...do I need to buy some kind of "ratchet strap" (I'm sure you called it something else) for the suspension, or are you confident we can get it done with the strap I have? or do you have one you can bring?

Meanwhile, I also have your cherry bomb to get back to you...and (of course this could be anywhere in my garage...but) I seem to be missing a 5 point 1/2" 3/8 socket if you happen to see an extra one floating around in your bag...
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Don, I'll have a look at the stuff you have for the swap and advise when I see it.

I still have all the same bags and stuff we loaded last Saturday, so we'll look in them for the socket. I assume you meant 6-point 1/2" 3/8 socket. I've got oodles of spare sockets from a variety of collections over the years. I'll check to see if I have another spare and bring it just in case.

I was using the ratcheting strap to try and compress (foolishly) those hard rubber bushings. If I need anything like that, yours was OK for the need.

I hope I'll have time to get you headed in all the right directions at once.

Should be there about 9AM if I can get out of here by 8.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Quote Originally Posted by dhbfaster View Post
    Whew....endless thanks Roger.
    Saturday is a go as far as I am concerned.
    Kenny, any chance you feel like making it down to finish the doors? or help with these last 2 brake lines?
    I wish I could but I'm booked this weekend. I'm shooting for a yard sale in a couple of weeks so I'm pulling up my stash from the basement. And am going to detail my old Ranger to get it ready for sale. Plus my poor Falcon is covered in a thick layer of pine tree pollen! And taxes!!!

But next time, I'm there. It's getting close!

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

Thanks Kenny...I know how it goes. good luck on all that this weekend. ( Taxes? Glad my wife does that.)
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Too much to read to catch up right now. IIRC, Ford's name for the advance system used on the early Falcons was Load-o-matic.

I did like you Roger, ditched the original and went DII when I built the 200 for my '62 with 32/36 Weber clone.

Many replaced the rubber bushings with polyurethane when they became the rage. Poly is great when the suspension components are built to handle the additional stress placed on them, not so with the meager Falcon parts.

As mentioned before, it's been about 15yrs since I messed with this stuff, but if my foggy memory is close, there was a compromise between poly and rubber in a material called "milodyne" or some similar name. This material was stiffer than rubber, but not as stiff as poly, and prevented problems with cracking strut rod frame mounts. I can't remember now if I actually found a correct set or ended up using the more plastic version (not true polyurethane).

Anyway, a few thoughts before I head off to other demands.

Phil
    Phil

Strut rod bushings

Quote Originally Posted by PhilC View Post
    Many replaced the rubber bushings with polyurethane when they became the rage. Poly is great when the suspension components are built to handle the additional stress placed on them, not so with the meager Falcon parts. ... there was a compromise between poly and rubber in a material called "milodyne" or some similar name. This material was stiffer than rubber, but not as stiff as poly, and prevented problems with cracking strut rod frame mounts. I can't remember now if I actually found a correct set or ended up using the more plastic version (not true polyurethane).
    This may be what Phil is referring to. From my notes:

High performance strut rod bushings:
    http://www.jegs.com/i/Global-West/45...oductId=760572

Fits 1962 – 1965 Ford Falcon. “If adjustable strut rods are not in your budget, high-density rubber strut rod bushings would be your best alternative. The rubber bushings are stiffer than the factory type and have just enough forgiveness to allow the suspension to move without overstressing the strut rod. These bushings are recommended if the car is used as a daily driver and is not raced.” “High durometer bushings will control lower control arm location with limited deflection and still allow pivot over standard factory durometer. Provides better alignment, cornering, and braking control. Easy installation. No modifications needed. Too high of a durometer bushing in this location can cause strut rod failure due to too much resistance in the direction of pivot. That is why there is rubber in this location over other high density plastics.”
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)

Thanks Rogers help this morning...Falcon purrrs like a kitten. Carb perfect now. Strut rods on. Air cleaner on. Holes drilled for mirrors with Rogers coaching, all brake lines on (still have to bleed it all). Heater hose also rerouted.
    After the Sounders game tonight I plan to install the sway bar and call it a day.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Too much to read to catch up right now.
    No doubt my meaningless ramblings.

IIRC, Ford's name for the advance system used on the early Falcons was Load-o-matic.
    Yep, that's it. I like Spark-o-Magic better tho.

...a material called "milodyne" or some similar name. This material was stiffer than rubber, but not as stiff as poly, and prevented problems with cracking strut rod frame mounts.
    Don will just need to watch these. See how they last. I'm pretty familiar with Poly, these were not that, but it might be this Milodyne stuff.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"