Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not starting

Not starting

My 64 ranchero v8 has been hard to start lately and today it just won't start up.

I have fuel, engine turns over fine but I have no spark.

Accel street billet dizzy.
    Accel super street coil.

?
    none

Question No answers

I can't believe that no one has an answer for a cranking but no spark issue on a 64 falcon ranchero v8 issue. I would randomly guess an ignition switch issue but could be distributor (which is accel street billet) or coil, This is a daily driver and I need some expertise from some experts.

Where do I start?
    none

Distributor cap?

Hello, TJ.

I am by no means an expert, but have you taken off the distributor cap and looked inside? There is a carbon button on the inside of the cap that the rotor touches. That button can wear down or even fall out. If the button is not there the car will not start or run.

Also check that the central wire to the cap is plugged in tight at both the cap and coil.

Thanks, Dennis.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)

Dennis is right. The first thing to do is I good visual test. If all looks good I would get out your manual and go to the Ignition System Trouble Diagnosis and Testing section. Those ford guys (or Chilton) have it all down in more detail than we c an type in a post.

If still stuck, the information the book testing will help narrow things down and the group can offer suggestions on specifics.

Is an Accel street dizzy a solid state unit or still use points?

We want to help, just need more to go on (at least I do).

Found that the Accel unit is solid state.

http://shop.accel-ignition.com/ignit...c-ford-fe.html

This link has troubleshooting in the lower right of the page. Start there and let us know your results.

Main thing is to check your voltage where they tell you. I remember you were having ignition switch problems last year... May be related.
    Last edited by Jeff W; July 19th, 2015 at 09:57 PM.

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA
    '63 Tudor Wagon (170 - 3 spd.)

Thank you!

Here is the latest and greatest-

Yes, I did have an ignition switch problem last year and solved it with help from you guys; I really appreciated it too! Thank you again.

It was running just great on Friday and it just would not start again on Saturday morning so, I checked fuel which I had plenty of, did a visual of everything and all seemed just fine. I used a test light on Saturday and verified by putting clip end(ground) to a good ground on the chassis and put point on positive side of battery to be sure the light was working. (all was good)

I knew I had power to the starter etc because the car turn over fine, dash lights and gauges all worked with key on. With key on I checked the coil with tester, clip grounded- point to positive no light and the same with negative side, same result. I kind of concluded it may be the switch since I had no power when the switch was in the on (run) position.

The only thing I did as a last thing on Saturday was jiggle the ignition switch around a bit with the key in and just closed it up a bit frustrated and just left it, never tried to start it again. Well this morning I went out and checked all again and low and behold when I checked the coil again I had a light on both sides with test light! I was shocked and almost afraid to try to start it. I did the usual one pump on the gas and turned the ignition and it started right up!!!!

So am I on the right trail- probably ignition switch, harness or connection at the same place? (I'm guessing I should have replaced it last year)
    none

One other place to look (if the system hasn't been modified too much) is the firewall connector. There are two square connectors next to the Brake Master Cylinder. In a stock set-up, the power from your ignition switch gets to the coil through one of these connectors. Maybe you want to unplug yours, squirt some electrical contact cleaner in there and a small dollop dielectric grease on each terminal.

Intermittent electrical issues are hard to find.

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA
    '63 Tudor Wagon (170 - 3 spd.)

Intermittent wires in wrapped harnesses are rare. Most issues in an ignition circuit are often at the switches, since they are always in motion or ignition components.

The key ignition switch actually has two contact points with key-ON; for accessories inside the car; and one to feed the PINK resistor wire to the + side of the coil. You generally are not supposed to add anything else to that tap of the switch connector, but memory says it's connected to the charging light too. It is generally not the feed of other normal 12 volt key-ON things. You have to check at the switch. It is possible to have 12 volts powering other things, but not the PINK resistor wire. The switch side of that PINK wire is 12 volts and the coil side (actually terminates at the firewall connector and then goes into the red w/green stripe wire) will be about 9 volts - give or take.

You also have start and run circuits - each fed differently. Because you have a no start condition when cranking over the engine this source for the +12v on the coil is from the starter solenoid. When cranking you get a full 12 volts from there (the "I" terminal) to feed the coil to start for a hot spark. When the engine fires you release the key to the run position and the coil now gets the lower voltage from the PINK wire. It's not uncommon to have an engine catch, then fail to run when you release the key. This is usually a PINK wire failure. When neither the crank or run position will cause a start condition it's usually a component like a coil or ignition module.

You gotta get good with a volt meter and know where to poke it.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"