Thread: 302 for Smithkid

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

302 for Smithkid

A few weeks ago, a neighbor offered me a new motor. As I knew my motor was tired, I went to see what he had. It was a 302ci long block (minus a few bolt-ons) with a cast-iron 4bbl manifold. He says he built it while worling at a machine shop (Jacobs) 12 or 15 years ago and never installed it in the van he had at the time. It is bored .030" and has new flat-top Wiseco pistons installed with a "RV" flat tappet cam (unknow grind) and new lifters. I've plastiguaged the mains and rods, and found all to be set at .002" clearance. A new double roller timing set is also installed. Valve job is also complete on stock heads.

So after some haggling and personal guarantees, I agreed to purchase it. I've been quite busy for the last couple of weeks, but today I got the heads and block painted.

I intend to keep you all posted so that I can get advice if I make a major error in re-assembly/installation. It has been many years since I've done any engine assembly, so this'll be a re-learning experience for me.

Attach are a few pics of todays painting.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs