Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Out for a spin.

Wheels & Tires

Quote Originally Posted by MacDee View Post
    When I installed my front disc brakes, I had to convert to 14" wheels. The 185/70-14 tires I got are EXACTLY the same diameter as my original 6.00 X 13's.
    I didn't want to lose the look of the wire wheel covers, so I found a 14" set on e-bay. Turns out they were from a '63 Galaxie. I just swapped in the center "knock-offs" from my 13" wheel covers. Voila! Fourteen-inch Falcon wire wheel covers!
    Hello, Gary.

That was a good idea. You have an exceptionally nice looking car.

The weather forecast this morning said 20% chance of rain. I flew The Wonder Falcon to work and ... it rained at 3:00 and ... it rained again at 4:45 as I was driving back home.

But any day that I get to drive my Falcon is a good one!

I just maintained plenty of room between me and the car ahead so that I would not have to stop suddenly and possibly slide.

The car starts instantly, with a satisfying deep "VaROOM!" It tracks so perfectly that I can take my hands off the wheel and it continues traveling straight. While moving, it steers so lightly that it can be guided with one fingertip. When stopped at red lights the engine idles so smoothly and quietly that it almost seems not to be running. Every time I drive it, I think "Gosh, this is nice!".
    Last edited by ew1usnr; July 20th, 2015 at 06:32 PM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)

July 22, 1963.

The Wonder Falcon will be 52 years old tomorrow! (The same as Kenny!)

The car was built by members of Lorain Local United Auto Workers 425 on Monday, July 22, 1963 at the Lorain, OH, assembly plant and delivered to Jacksonville, FL. “Surf City” by Jan & Dean was the Billboard Hot 100 number one single music hit that week.

union-hall-final Local 425 UAW.jpg
    See: http://danielebrady.blogspot.com/201...edication.html

Mine was one of the last round body Falcons. Production of the 1963 models stopped a week and a half later at the end of July and the dies were shipped to Argentina.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)

Thanks for the link

Quote Originally Posted by ew1usnr View Post
    Hello, Don.

Having 14-inch wheel would give a lot wider choice of tires, but doing that would mean buying five wheels. The price of five wheels would cancel any cost saving on the tires. Going to a bigger wheel would also alter the accuracy of the speedometer and require a gear change.

The general fashion trend for automobiles has been towards bigger and bigger wheels, but I will be in the minority and say that I like my 13-inch wheels. They weigh less, take up less room in the trunk, give the car a lower profile, and they are what the car came with. They may be an unusual size now, but they used to be extremely common. My 1981 Plymouth Horizon had 13-inch wheels. And I gotta have white walls!

The V-8 Falcons have 6.5-inch wide rims and the six cylinders used 6-inch wide wheels (I think). Whenever I replace my present Milestar tires, I will try the Maxxis MA-1:

Attachment 5027

The wheels used on the Sprint hardtop model are 6.5” x 13”.
    The Maxxis MA-1 185/80R13 whitewall tire will fit 5” - 6.5" wide rims. “The Maxxis MA-1 is the perfect touring tire for almost any passenger car. With an attractive design and solid construction featuring double steel belts, solid center rib, advanced tread design to resist hydroplaning, and a stylish narrow (3/4”) white sidewall with serrated black sidewall.”
    SKU: 700403, Tread Width: 5.40, Section Width: 7.40, Overall Diameter: 24.70, Load Index: 90, Speed Rating: S, Max Load Capacity: 1323@35PSI, Rim Width: 5.00 - 6.50.
    See: http://www.cokertire.com/maxxis-185-80r13.html
    Amazon has them for $104.89 each with free shipping.
    Thanks for doing the "legwork" on this Dennis.
    1 tire separated near on I5 at Tukwila/southcenter, 35 mph to Griots
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Vikingblu; July 26th, 2015 at 10:33 PM. Reason: Revise
    Dave M
    1963 Ford Falcon Futura convertible 170ci auto.
    Arlington Wa

Dave,

I'm sure others are asking this too... what tire separated? The same one Dennis was espousing? Was it new?

Saw your car at the mini. Looked like a nice, solid car.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Tire seperation

Thanks for the compliment Roger.
    All four tires were very old, 25 years or more.
    I thought it was the right front. So "we" swapped the spare to the right front. Drove around the block,,,nope. So "we" took the removed right front and swapped the left rear. Much better. Made it back to about Marysville, car started shaking again.
    Pic is my big brother posing. After the late arrival and fixing the Futura, there wasnt a ton of social time. My apologies.
    After dismounting all four tires, two looked like this
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dave M
    1963 Ford Falcon Futura convertible 170ci auto.
    Arlington Wa

Here's what I have to say about that...

It should have looked like a Keystone cops car going down the road, or something.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"