Thread: New to the City and the Falcon World

New to the City and the Falcon World

I moved to Seattle 4 months ago from Texas. I was never really into cars before. Though I admired their look, durablility and ease of maintenance. My biggest issues with older cars were how big they were and how much gas they ate, especially with the price of gas nowadays. Always liked 60's El Camino's though. Then I moved to Seattle and saw a neighbor's friend drive up in a black 63 Futura that just knocked my socks off. I had never seen that car before. It was different. It was smaller, good-looking and American. I loved the bench seats, the look of the entire dash and everything inside and out.

Now I'm not a materialistic person by nature. I live simply and only require basic needs to get me through the day. Every indulgent or expensive purchase is rationalized for days before I get it. Some may call me, "cheap". I think of it as "sensible". Never had I felt the "I need to have it" urge for anything in my life...that is till I saw that Falcon...and the iPod touch (that thing is way cool). I saw that car and I had to have it. I researched the hell out of it that whole day. Then the oddest thing, the very next day, I found one on craigslist for a good price. And with Uncle Sam just gifting me with a refund, I said, "why not". When I drove it, it was like losing my virginity all over again. I had no idea a car felt that good to drive. I loved it. So I drove it home, got lost for 2 hours cuz I don't know Lynnwood for crap and was too scared of freewaying it so soon. The car stood up to the drive...hills and all.

I've had it for six weeks and I am a man obsessed. I'm reading up on them and the mods all the time. I've bugged Kenny a few times (hope you're feeling better). I only drive it on the weekends when the weather is nice. I have noticed a few things. Leaks here, odd things there, but it drives great. I got a few questions which I'll address later. I just wanted to stop by and introduce myself and my 63 fordor. I'm glad there is a supportive Falcon community in the area. Lord knows, I'll need 'em.

Rudy
    Last edited by Tex-Mex; May 1st, 2008 at 12:45 PM.

Welcome. We'll be watching for your questions.

that may be one of the top 10 intros ive ever read

Welcome to the wierd n wonderful world of Falcons!!!
    "Never under any circumstances, take a laxative and a sleeping pill at the same time !!"

That is a great intro Rudy!! It sounds like you're in it for the same reasons a lot of Falcon owners are. Falcons are a little different than most of the mainstream classic cars, easy to work on, and great cars to learn about restorations. And the parts are still very plentiful compared to some other orphaned models.

I know many Falcon owners who might be considered "cheap" but I get a big kick out of fixing something or restoring it without having to throw a bunch of money at the problem. I like to make my money go as far as it can. Looks like I'll be needing all the extra I can save to keep the tank full this summer!!!

Look forward to checking out your ride this summer so make sure you hit a few shows. Sometimes it's easier to diagnose problems when you see what others have done and can kick tires for a few hours.

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

Nice to hear your story Rudy. I'm sure you'll find the help you need when it's needed. There's a lot of knowledge in this little group. Though I've got a 65, they share most of the same parts from 60-65, so any of us with these years have at least some working knowledge if you have questions. Be sure to post some pictures too, if you can.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"