Thread: Ford fan - joining for info

Ford fan - joining for info

I like Falcons but don't yet own one. Instead I have two 1966 Broncos, which is perhaps one too many. (If anyone wants to trade a Falcon for a Bronco let me know). I landed here while searching for engine information for my latest project, which is to rebuild the I-6 170 in one of them. I'm encouraged by all the great parts at classicinlines.com, but not yet sure where to focus my improvements with a limited budget. I'll probably post more specific questions as I get into it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm sure you will hear this more than once... The 200 ci is a very easy retro-fit and offers many additional upgrades not found on the 170ci (more power, additional main bearings, larger valve in stock head). I just picked up a 200ci attached to a C4 automatic transmission for $150. Both were running when removed as the guy is upgrading to a V8.

What I am saying is you can find an inexpensive core, rebuild at your leisure, and perform the swap on a weekend. Little downtime and a better power-plant.

200 upgrade

I have heard that. In fact one of my Broncos has already been upgraded to a 200 (not by me). I could swap that one into my new (current project) Bronco, but I'd rather leave that one intact. I did just find an engine on Craigslist for $75, but it is a 250, which I've read has even worse gas mileage than a V8, therefore losing some of the advantages of keeping an I-6. I might go for it anyway though, since it is only $75, if for no other reason than getting a few extra parts. What do you think about the 250?

I have heard that the 250ci is taller and is a difficult install into our little Falcons. You may have more clearance in your Bronco. Since it is not a popular swap for our birds, I really haven't researched the 250ci. I'm sure someone in our group has some insight on the larger engine.

The 250 is a taller block than the 144/170/200. It is the largest in the small block six engines. There are two big block sixes as well; the 240 and 300.

The 250 should be as easy to bolt in as a 200 if you have the hood clearance. I think it's one inch taller. It would probably be a nice engine in an old Bronco. Check your air cleaner to hood clearance.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

Way cool Bronco carlb! The pup is ready to go 4-wheelin' it appears.

If it were me I'd for sure go to the 200-250 for the indestructible bottom ends. FWIW, My 200 has more than enough get up and go, but going with the later model (mine's a 65), would be something I'd like to do some day. Mine has the old bell housing bolt pattern. If yours doesn't have the later small-block v8 bell housing bolt pattern, this, to me, is a must to allow more transmission options... though I suppose with a transfer case you're rather limited in that respect no matter what. If you pick an engine, make sure the transmission will bolt up!

Post more pics if you get the chance.
    Last edited by Luva65wagon; December 2nd, 2008 at 08:34 PM.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"