Thread: Wagon issues

Wagon issues

Hi guys,

I've gotten to drive the wagon for the last two days and I've noticed a few more issues, nothing major just some concerns..

First issue is the dreaded fuel slosh on right turns.. anyway to fix this with out moving the filler to nehind the tail light? Maybe i can add baffels to the steel fuel neck??

Second issue is the car lunges while in park.. if I rev the engine it surges forward.. its the wonderful Fordomatic which is completely new to me..

Third issue is it has a horrible time starting when the engine is warm..
    Any ideas? Should I by pass the heated carb spacers?

Nathan
    Nathan and Jen Cooper
    63 Sprint Hardtop "Dollora"
    63 Super deluxe squire wagon "Mayble"
    * this spot is vacant for future project*

To end the slosh, you just need to keep all 4 tires on the ground when going 'round corners. That usually helps.

Actually, that's pretty strange. I only have trouble when filling, but not when driving. Everyone said I'd find a vent on mine, but the wagons have no vent in the tank, which contributes to the fill issue, but shouldn't contribute to driving issues. The caps are vented, but they really should seal tight enough to keep fuel from spilling. So look under the gasket and check that little metal spring "ring" thing under the gasket. These are usually made of brass and crack over time and the gasket does not maintain constant contact to the filler. Check the flatness of the filler as well. May have a dent from someone smacking it with a nozzle.

Don't know much about that tranny, but it might have seals leaking inside allowing fluids to flow when and where they shouldn't when in park. If you have no idea how fresh the fluid is, I'd do a flush and then filter and fluid change. And maybe something that offers some seal conditioning (softens the rubber). I did some work on a newer AOD tranny that was slipping real bad. I did service on it and with a new filter added a quart of Lucas oil and the tranny shifted like new. May be snake oil, but can't argue with results. Mileage may vary.

Float level may be set too high and when you stop it boils the carb, but what I did rather than reroute hoses every year is to add an in-line heater control valve (hid it behind the carb, so it's hard to see), and if it's cold I can open it and have heat/heater, but once it starts to get warmer and I don't need interior heat, I shut 'er down (a colder carb is a happy carb -- unless it's icing, then it's a yucky thing). In any case, on or off, it should not flood -- but that's what it sound like. Does it smell like gas when it's hard to start? What's it take to start it -- hold the foot to the floor? Or pump in more gas?
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

My '63 wagon does have a vent tube. It goes up high, around then back down on the back side. It sure looks factory as it has grommets where it goes through the inner panel. I can't speak to the fill problems or sloshing as I have yet to put gas into it.

I plan on installing the Jaguar cap when I repaint. It looks like a fairly eary modification but would have to accompany a repaint.

Picture attached - here is the link to the amazing "Rick Wrench". This guy is quite talented.

http://www.rickwrench.com/

You will have to scroll down to the "Falcon Updates"
    Attached Images Attached Images

Is the parking pawl working? Will it roll more than a few inches back or forth if it's in park?

It still probably needs a rebuild as it shouldn't be engaging when in park.

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

Roger,
    My wagon has a vent tube. I believe it comes off the tank and vents to the filler neck.. Filling it was easy and no burp.. Just fuel slosh when turning..m Its got a cheesey aftermarket gas cap on it. ANy one want to part with an orginal? I've ordered another new one in hopes to fix that problem..

As for the hard start when warm.. no gas smell, but sometimes i just pump the gas once and it starts other times I have to floor it and it starts..
    I'm going to try removing the heater hoses to the carb spacer and see what happens..

Kenny,
    Me no like you, A rebuild is not what i wanna do.. if it needs a rebuild then I'm upgrading to a c-4 if I can find one that will bolt to my 170..
    I'll check the movement in park.. I was hoping that maybe I just need to adjust the linkage.. I think its off a bit..

nathan
    Nathan and Jen Cooper
    63 Sprint Hardtop "Dollora"
    63 Super deluxe squire wagon "Mayble"
    * this spot is vacant for future project*

Oh, I was thinking a vent tube that isn't the one going to the filler neck, which is a burp tube, I guess. I think the cars have a vent that just stays under the car that spiders and stuff like to clog up.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"