Thread: Free Computers

Free Computers

It's spring cleaning time and I have come to the realization that I don't need 6 computers around my modest abode. I have a couple of machines here that run just fine but they are a little old. They would make a great shop/garage computer for pulling up diagrams, parts, or making up-to-the minute updates on your project progress. The specs of the machines are below, I have them loaded with the basics for internet and MS office. They are free to anyone who would like to adopt one:

1) Apple G4 tower "sawtooth" upgraded to 1.5GHz processor and a 128MB video card. Running Mac OS10.4, has 802.11B wireless card and 60GB drive as well as a CD/DVD burner and USB 2.0 card. Will need a monitor/keyboard/mouse. More info here: http://support.apple.com/kb/SP123

2) Apple G4 Laptop, 500MHz, 80 GB drive running OS 10.3.9. The wireless on this one works but it will only support WEP and 802.11B. The battery is also about dead, but the power supply works fine. More info here: http://support.apple.com/kb/SP114

-Brian
    Brian
    '67 Falcon Bus/240/C4/Offy DP/MSD Duraspark II/Holley 4160

Brian,

I would be interested in the laptop. Jessica's screen is dying on hers and we want to hold off on a new one until she's out of school and gainfully employed. She mostly uses it for browsing and MS Office so it would be plenty peppy.

I may have a few things you might want for trade! Or there's always coffee...

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

Or maybe it won't work with my wireless?? I suck at networking (ask Jeff). Here's my Linksys router info:

Current Network Information:
    RotoRouter:
    PHY Mode: 802.11g
    BSSID: 0:c:41:f6:72:c0
    Channel: 3
    Network Type: Infrastructure
    Security: WPA Personal
    Signal / Noise: -61 dBm / -94 dBm
    Transmit Rate: 54

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

Kenny, you don't suck at networking... just last week I saw you running around with a ladder stringing blue cable from the ceiling panels.

You're also good at Facebook so score 2 for you on Networking. This laptop will not work on those settings, but don't fret you have a couple of options. 1) I can adjust your Wireless to play nice with this Laptop
    2) In case your wireless hardware decides to be less cooperative I have an extra Access point you can take that I know it works on.

When the time comes for upgrade I can help you set it back to more modern settings. I'll bring it with me Saturday and we can get it rockin.
    Brian
    '67 Falcon Bus/240/C4/Offy DP/MSD Duraspark II/Holley 4160

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff W View Post
    Kenny, you don't suck at networking... just last week I saw you running around with a ladder stringing blue cable from the ceiling panels.
    I can string wire like a mad dog. It's getting the thingamajig to talk to the whatchamacallit that gets me on edge!!

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com