Thread: Fresh Air Respirator

Fresh Air Respirator

Very sorry that I couldn't make the meeting today. I had to go to the doctor and didn't want to make a repeat trip to Seattle this evening. I found that I have a 1000% toxicity level of several items of bad stuff in my body. It is most likely that I got it from working 40 years at Boeing but some of the ingredients in body filler may have contributed and or caused my health problems. I have worn a dust mask and sometimes a respirator but.......... Anyway since I still have more body work to do and since I intend to paint my car I am going to invest in a fresh air respirator system. If anyone has experience with these or has one for sale or knows of a good system please let me know. Thanks and see you all soon I hope. Larry

Larry, so sorry to hear of your issues.

Here is a fresh air system that is only $319... only about twice as much as a high end screw on cartridge type.

I know it's still a lot of money but health is nothing to goof around with. I have not used this system but it looks like one of the better guys I found with quick search.

http://www.turbineproducts.com/servlet/Detail?no=3
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jeff W; March 18th, 2009 at 11:41 PM.

Larry,

Sorry to hear that!

When I was our company maintenance mechanic back in the day (1980-1994) we had a 200 gallon vapor degreaser and a small electronics vapor degreaser used to deflux circuit boards and to do any maintenance on these required a fresh-air breathing device. It was essentially an oilless air-pump with a long hose feeding you air from a long distance. What a pain it was, but I'm alive still (knock on wood) and I'm sure that helped.

Suffice it to say I've never been the wisest when it comes to masks and all. We had to decommission the degreaser about 15 years ago due to an EPA regulation that made it impossible for us to achieve (or at least cost prohibitive), so that air breather got sold off about 10 years ago.

I will say, even wearing that mask, it wasn't 100% fool-proof as I think it should have been. Many times I'd catch the hose attached to my face and I'd get a whiff of that stuff (Trichloroethelyne for the big guy and TriFlorosomethingorother for the other). So be sure it fits your face. If you have a beard -- makes it really hard.

Hope this helps...

Be sure to keep us informed when you need some help on things too... you know I'm just around the block.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"