Page 11 of 52 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Call me crazy - Ranchero's (again)

I'm sorry I forgot to keep you apprised. My family has FORCED me to E. WA for some fishing and playing. Not sure when I'll be back on that side, but it'll be before the snow flies, I'm sure. Probably MUCH sooner.

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

Like I said... "projects."

Fishing is a project that never gets finished, right?
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Milestone reached

It's been a while since I posted much of anything related to this craziness. But I do believe I have reached a milestone with this. I think the final major fabrication is done. I've got a little pounding to do on the bed panel to remove some of the dimples and then that is ready to paint the underside.

So here are pictures are a couple left-overs from finishing up the drivers side wheel well and shows the underneath. Underneath is ready for sealing and then I'm going to undercoat it all (when I can track down some undercoating).

Today I did the work on the bed panel and support for that. As indicated before I'm leaving access to this underside part and needed to make it so when I install the bed panel I can totally seal that off.

So here's a few overdue pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

More bed work

Here's the work done to make the bed panel support. The fun part was heating up the piece that wraps around the wheel house. This is typically only sealed by stamped sheet metal pieces that are not a seal in the best of times.

Really, I have concluded these beds were never really ever intended to stay dry. I think it would be impossible - at least as a factory assembly. I've got this setup so that if I do it right, it'll be pretty water tight. I have plans as a "just in case", but it won't ever get as much water in there as it used to.

The bed panel work is to make it so that I need only remove the little metal oval cover to access the upper shock mounts - instead of every taking off the large bed panel.
    Last edited by Luva65wagon; January 10th, 2012 at 03:25 PM.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

Fishing up the bed panel...
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

Nice!!!!

Well if I have learned anything from this, it would be to "Dont be afraid to try"
    If I do try, and it doesnt work out Roger can fix it for me!
    Nice work Roger
    Bill Proctor .. 1963 Falcon Sprint. Looking forward to learning new things.

Call me crazy - Ranchero's (again

Amen to that. I went over to see the "status" and I am amazed. Great work and creativity Roger. Larry

Amazing work. I saw this car for a long time in person and this is a tremendous amount of work. You are going to have 2 show cars when you are done. Daily driver Hmmm??? I sent the under coat gun over with Brian, and thanks for the parts to help get my turd back on the road...
    Great job can't wait to see it in person...

Funny thing - I went to put on my cap today as I headed out to the garage - and I all the sudden realized I had a bigger head today for some reason. Now I know why.

Trust me - my intentions are still as a driver, but you can't go pulling things apart and not repair them... OK, restore them. As I've said - and been told - I am my own worst enemy.

I did build a dam for the bottom of the opening under the bed area - just in case. I will build a speaker box to fit in that space with maybe some other cavity to store things. We'll see. But I will totally fiberglass it in that area and it will stand an inch off the deck so if any water does get in, it can drain. It will only be water if anything.

Ford didn't really intend to keep stuff out of that area - they just probably never told anyone; "you ought to take off the cover and clean it every spring - and then seal it up again."

Right now I am crawling around under the car and getting the underside all sealed and ready for undercoat. I read on some site of a guy getting excellent result by using Loctite Polyurethane roof and flashing sealant - so I picked up a few tubes of it. Looks like it is going to be some really good stuff. Taking forever to cure, but that's OK.

As for the undercoating - I can't find any that I want to use right now. I know Home Depot has it in spray cans for $3.50 each - so I may pick up a few of these to see what quality they are. Thanks for sending over the gun Steve. I may use it still.

Pictures to follow when I take some more.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"