Thread: Windshield Project (and Redemption?)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    63vert Guest

Windshield Project (and Redemption?)

Well today I started (and finished) my pre-painting windshield project…and it was super easy. I have a convertible, so removing the trim was as simple as making sure to remove all the screws.
    Once the trim was removed (excepting the exterior piece that runs along the bottom) I cut the seal along both “A” pillars and along the top…from the outside. I then proceeded to gently push the window up and out from the inside. I used my feet, at first, as suggested by Roger and that helped “break” the seal.
    After the window was out, the frame cleaned-up easier than I thought it would with only “Goof-Off” and elbow grease. There was very little rust (see image 1) and I could not be happier with the results.
    I will work on polishing the stainless in the weeks ahead and have a couple of leads for installation of a new windshield…but first things first.
    Again this forum has been a great place to learn. Roger your tips for removing the window were right on. Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looking good. I see from the pictures that you have the same manufacturer for your seat covers as I do... 3M

Were you having water leakage or just preping for a replacement windshield?

63vert Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff W View Post
    Were you having water leakage or just prepping for a replacement windshield?

Boy oh boy...you should see the water leakage. However that has more to do with the almost none existent convertible top, especially towards the rear!

The windshield had no less than 6 stars in it AND a large "n" shaped crack along the bottom. It didn't really have to come out yesterday, but I had the afternoon off and, well, it just kind of happened.

And now that I know how to remove the wipers, those will be off before dinner.

The downside of all this progress is that the space in the basement is filling up and my better half is already starting to make comments about the project getting out of hand!! Wait until the rest of the glass and seats come out...

One more thought. Now is a good time to open up the cowl and fix any rust. Most Falcons suffer from the cowl rusting through to the inside and causing a leak.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

and while you're at it...

you should rebuild that heater box and upgrade to the two speed intermittent wiper system and... this and... that and... that other things too.

Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"