Thread: My Sound System.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

My Sound System.

I have a 1963 Futura. The original 1963 transistor radio that was in the car wasn't working so I bought a working 1962 Falcon vacuum tube radio off e-bay for $62. I really like the vacuum tubes. They take a minute to warm up and then kick in with a snap. The original speaker was mostly disintegrated, so I bought a 5” x 7” replacement radio speaker ($24.95) from Classic Auto Parts. The speaker fit perfectly and sounds great. The radio can be turned up LOUD without distortion. There is not much to listen to anymore on AM, however, so I bought a period Radio-Shack brand "Realistic" FM converter off e-bay for $25. I added one of these to the Falcon I had in high school when disco took over the AM band. My "new" FM converter worked, but FM has too many commercials, the pop music is horrible, and the "oldies" stations were playing disco and Phil Collins (also horrible). So, I bought an MP3 player off e-bay $2.60 (direct from China postage included). The MP3 player plugs into the cigarette lighter and broadcasts an FM signal, that gets picked up by the FM converter and amplified by the vacuum tube AM radio and played through the new dashboard speaker. The little thumb drive is 8 GB (I think). I loaded it with 10 CD's and it only took 14% of the capacity. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the car radio is plenty loud even while driving with the windows down. Now I can drive around while listening to BB King, Chuck Berry, the Grateful Dead, and Joni Mitchell blasting out of my single dashboard speaker (how the car was originally configured). The MP3 player just plugs in, and the FM converter is mounted with Velcro. I can easily remove them anytime and revert the car back to all original. See the following picture (click on it to make it larger):

Sound System.jpg

The little gauge behind the MP3 player is an inside thermometer that I bought off Amazon.com for $9 (I think). I had a magnetic dashboard thermometer on the Falcon I had in high school and wanted one for my "new" Falcon. I snipped off a strip from an old aluminum license plate and bent it to make a mount for the thermometer. I colored the strip black with a sharpie and mounted it to the bottom of the dash with a magnet and then attached the thermometer with its self-adhesive backing. Since it is mounted with a magnet it can also be easily removed.
    Last edited by ew1usnr; June 28th, 2014 at 02:40 PM. Reason: spelling errors