Thread: A brighter turn indicator

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

A brighter turn indicator

My turn signal indicator light is not very bright and I cannot see it when the sun is behind me. Couple that with my not hearing the relay because of wind and traffic noise, and with my cancel not always cancelling, I sometimes embarrass myself by driving with the turn signal on.

The stock 1895 bulb is 2 candle power (cp), 0.27A * 14V = 3.8W, 2000 hour life

I had earlier replaced all the instrument panel bulbs with a 50% brighter 1816 bulb with 3 candle power , 0.33A * 13V = 4.29W, 1000 hour life. Those helped some, but still did not seem especially bright.

I just now installed a 6.4 candlepower Halogen instrument panel bulb replacement: Osram Sylvania 64111 5 Watt 12 Volt, T2.75, Ba9S Miniature Bayonet base, Clear, 240 Hrs Average Life, Halogen Light Bulbs
    See: http://www.amazon.com/Osram-Sylvania.../dp/B007TTNUZC $2.99 + $4.50 postage

Halogen bulbs are hotter and require a ceramic base socket, but this should be OK since it is an intermittent flashing light that will not stay on for long. It is brighter but has a much shorter 240 hour life vs the 2000 hr life of the stock bulb. But 240 hrs should still be good for several years.

I also ordered a “12V 2 Pin Motorcycle Motorbike Flasher Relay Turn Signal Indicator Beeper” off e-bay for $2.59 + $1.99 postage from Shenzhen, China = $4.58. It has a built-in beeper that will beep with the turn signal; - beep -beep -beep . I'll let you know what I think of it after I receive it and try it out:
    Motorcycle flasher with beeper.jpg

"Universal 2 pins flasher relay, can be fitted on most cars or motorcycles."
    Flasher with beeper 4.JPG

"Wide input range, can be used on DC 6V to DC 12V motorcycle. Standard electro-mechanical type. Inbuilt beeper. Designed for tungsten light bulb turn signal lights. Specification: Input voltage: DC 6V~DC 12V, Input current: 4A~6A, Color: Orange."

Flasher with Beeper 3.JPG

Flaher with beeper 2.JPG
    Last edited by ew1usnr; February 22nd, 2015 at 08:01 AM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)