Thread: 65 dash bezel restoration

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

65 dash bezel restoration

Im looking into getting my dash bezel restored. All the chrome is gone and someone spray painted it. Does anyone know a place I can get my dash looking as good as it did the day it rolled off the assembly line ??

65 dash bezel restoration

I got my 64 dash parts rechromed by a company in Pennsylvania. They were not cheap, over $300. There are quite a few places on the internet that I see, but most did not repaint the black areas. You can see mine here in the pics. The one pic is before I sent them off. If you want I will try and find their name. Larry
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

What is the best method for removing these dash pieces? On the piece surrounding the stereo, I've removed the two screws, but it seems to be attached on the lower half still from behind. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Rod Neumann, Spokane, WA
    1964 Falcon Sprint Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by TechBoss View Post
    What is the best method for removing these dash pieces? On the piece surrounding the stereo, I've removed the two screws, but it seems to be attached on the lower half still from behind. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    On my 65 dash there are 2 tabs on the left side that stick under the gauge panel assembly. So you have to loosen the gauge panel assembly and then you can slip
    It out.

Yes, I got mine done at 'Instrument Specialties' back east. My parts came back looking brand new for sure, but it wasn't cheap, and does take a while.

Here is the website for the guy in Spokane.

http://www.gcartrim.com/

Hope this helps.
    Marion Cain

64 Falcon Futura, Grenada Front Disc
    5 Lug Conversion, 302, Still putting together.

More about my falcon can be found here. Codes and a short video of Stella when I first got here.
    Also here you can find images Here

Removing Dash Trim '64

I found that in order to remove the dash trim on my '64 Falcon that pulling the screws that are visible on the front is just a warm up. In order to remove the plastic trim covering the front of the stereo you must gain access to the back side of the dash. On the right side of the stereo I found that by just removing a few screws holding the glove box felt was enough to open a space I could use a 5/8 socket to remove the retaining nut on the back side of the trim. As for the left side, I tried coming in from the side but I didn't want to remove the entire instrument bezel, so I wound up removing the defrost hoses, radio and ash tray so I could guide a socket with extension with one hand via the ash tray hole and the other on the ratchet close to the firewall. I'm including a picture of the right side.

Rod Neumann, Spokane, WA
    1964 Falcon Sprint Convertible

Here is an email address from a fellow that I heard about. He sent me pictures of his work and it looks like he chromes and details the parts. He quoted a price of $350 for the work. I don't have first hand knowledge of his work but did see a post on TFFN from a customer that was quite pleased with the quality.

I purchased a rechromed set off an Ebay vendor that the work was done by Mr. G's out of Texas. While they looked good initially the quality, in my opinion, was sub par. Smudged very easy....unlike a set that came on one of my first falcons. I have not heard much good about Mr. G's so my suggestion would be to shy away from them. But that is just my opinion.

chromebob@att.net

Plastic Chrome

Quote Originally Posted by Voodoofalcon View Post
    Im looking into getting my dash bezel restored. All the chrome is gone and someone spray painted it. Does anyone know a place I can get my dash looking as good as it did the day it rolled off the assembly line ??
    I sent mine to Orna Metal in Romulas Michigan Fantastic job done
    go on line and they will provide a quote had my 64 dash and 65 dash done
    kept my original dashes just in case

I ended up sending it to a place in Spokane. They did a nice job.

Quote Originally Posted by Marigold65 View Post
    I sent mine to Orna Metal in Romulas Michigan Fantastic job done
    go on line and they will provide a quote had my 64 dash and 65 dash done
    kept my original dashes just in case
    Attached Images Attached Images

1965 Hardtop, 289, Top loader, Torino power disk brakes, Tilt steering, 2 speed int wipers

Mike Spears