Thread: Door Handles for 60-63 Falcons

Door Handles for 60-63 Falcons

I know Jeff addressed this in his Wagon Build thread, but because I didn't have a 60-63 at the time I wasn't intimate with the process... until last night. So I looked at his thread again and realized he didn't use the new chrome buttons. His thread and mine differ only in this regard as I show you how to use the new chrome buttons too!

The 60-63 Falcons don't have the luxury of replacement door handles. You can make some yourself using 64-65 Falcon/Mustang handles and modifying them slightly. I suggest using the Mustang handles, since they are far less expensive than the Falcon handles... and are the same. I got both of mine for about $30.

Pic 1 - Take the two handles (new and old) apart and lay them out before you.

Pic 2 - Notice the old push-button, which was firmly attached to the push rod. I will show you how to use something else for this in the new button.

Pic 3 - These are the bits from the new handle. You will use the new spring and chrome button and the screw.

Pic 4 - Purchase 2ea 1/4-20 x 3.5" 1/4-20 bolts (longer is OK). We will use these as the new push rods.

Pic 5 - Cut off the threaded end to make the bolt 2.685" long (give or take - like 2 11/16"). Sand the cut smooth and round and sand off the high-spots from the hex to allow it to drop all the way to the bottom of the new chrome button.

(continued)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Luva65wagon; January 11th, 2012 at 08:56 PM.

Pic 6 - You need to shorten the guide/end plate a little. I just shortened it to the height of the part of it on the side. This worked. Use a fine hack-saw blade or cut-off wheel and deburr the ends.

Pic 7 - Lay this end piece over the new handle and align the screw holes. This will allow you to mark exactly where the new hole has to be drilled to align the catch. Drill as small a hole as needed, but if it breaks into the other hole, that's OK.

Pic 8 - Slather some grease on the head of the bolt and the rod (not shown in the picture), and assemble the parts as shown.

Pic 9 - Assemble into the handle and install the small screw to hold it together. You are done. Now you have all new shiny bits.

Hope this helps!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Luva65wagon; January 11th, 2012 at 12:49 PM.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"