Thread: Recurve Duraspark

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Luva65wagon View Post
    3) Vacuum advance. This only operates at idle and cruise, but highest vacuum is at idle. This is added to initial advance as soon as you set that and reinstall the vacuum line. So, in reality, this is what your "idle advance" is: initial plus vacuum.
    The vacuum advance is typically connected to a port that is just above the throttle blades. This is different than the old Load-o-Matic stuff. In this manner, there is little to no vacuum advance at idle. It's when the throttle just opens that the vacuum advance will be greatest and it will vary based on engine load. It is still best to set base timing with the vacuum capped off. Then reconnect the vacuum and go. The vacuum advance can is adjustable on Kenny's new dizzy. You can use a small allen wrench to adjust the amount of advance you get at a preset vacuum setting. The wrench adjusts the preload on a spring in the vacuum can.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

This is contrary to the thread on Classic Inlines thread. They indicated this to be called "ported vacuum" which was used in the early smog emission days, but was not the way to go today. But they did indicate it was a "debated subject" and then proceeded to explain what each was. The Load-o-matic carbs only offered a load-sensing vacuum using the little diaphragm doodad on the carbs.

So, anyway, I guess it is still debatable.

I've spent all of 20 minutes so far looking into it. I only know that when doing a DSII swap when I have a 1100 carb - I only have manifold vacuum as a real source and should not be using the original feed from the 1100. I will continue to study the pros and cons, but I'm hooking it up to manifold vacuum tonight, for now.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

This is the thread on ported versus manifold vacuum sources:

http://www.classicinlines.com/VacAdvance.asp
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

This is a pretty good article on ported versus manifold. Might also explain why, now, with manifold vacuum connected it seems to be running rich. If only it was easy to gain ported to try it.

http://www.lbfun.com/warehouse/tech_..._explained.pdf
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

Quote Originally Posted by pbrown View Post
    The vacuum advance can is adjustable on Kenny's new dizzy. You can use a small allen wrench to adjust the amount of advance you get at a preset vacuum setting. The wrench adjusts the preload on a spring in the vacuum can.
    I wish! I tried several sized allen wrenches and it is what it is. I think Crane and Standard make one for about $35-40.

When I get mine hooked up I'm going to compare ported vs. manifold. I borrowed Jeff's vacuum gauge so I can see what it's doing too. I've read plenty of forums where just as many people use one or the other and the consensus always seems to be "whatever works for you".

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

Well, first of all, you have to have the option. Perhaps your Weber offers the option, but the 1100 doesn't, really.

I've not done a lot of research yet, so for me the jury is still out, but tonight I added a manifold vacuum source and plugged off the Load-o-matic feed source on the carb. With initial timing sitting at 7 BTDC (I didn't try to adjust it to 6) I plugged in the vacuum advance and it jumped to 27 deg, or 20 deg added - at idle. With rev to about 2500-3000 it max'd at 41 degrees total advance. I do [now] have a spare vacuum source, so maybe I'll check vacuum reading too.

I will say that if I had ported source and the thing was running at 6 BTDC, it runs pretty crappy that way.

I think I still have some carb issues though. It is running pretty rich and part throttle run is not real smooth, but WOT acceleration is very responsive under no load.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"