Thread: Would you spend money to rebuild the unknown?

Would you spend money to rebuild the unknown?

Hey guys,

This engine I have that came with my car appeared to be in a midway point of either install, or removal. One valve cover was off, the oil pan/starter were off/out. Headers barely took a wrench to remove. The previous owner passed away, so I don't have anyone to ask what was done to the engine.

Fast forward: I pulled the engine out. Torque converter looks brand new, shiny blue with clean white stickers on it. When I split it from the engine, there was only one stud out of four that had a nut on it. The engine, for something being put back in, is not freshly painted, or even overly clean for that matter.

Tonight I pulled the lifters out. None of them really have any wear marks on them. The cylinder walls look like they could be honed just to clean up any dirty spots. No scuffs or scores, etc.

I pulled one piston out. The bearings seem like they got a little hot, or maybe not lubed well at build, but not terrible.

The piston I pulled out, little dirty.. but, stamped 030.

So with the 030 stamp. Do I bother with this engine? It had an old edelbrock torker on it. an old holley carb that needs a serious cleaning and rebuild. Old headers that are fairly beat up, couldn't even give them away here. lol. a 1967 289 block with the 302 stamped in the lifter well, date code suggesting 30jun67. Heads are 1966 289 heads.

So... suggestions?

I'm not working with a huge budget here, but I do have plenty of time to kill while I'm cutting floors and trunk for metal work. Do I put any money into this engine with taking the block and heads down to a machine shop? or just start looking for a 5.0 and start from there?

Thanks guys,

Robert
    I've always liked the 5.0 from the mustang gt's. I like the concept of the newer engine and the appearance of it's intake.

If you really want a roller cam, go 5.0.

If you just want a 302 verify what you have isnt a 302. Id used part numbers from rods.
    if not a 302 find crank and rods and use them in your block. Sell the 289 stuff or see if a machine shop will trade.

But if keeping it cheap is the ultimate goal and you want the car drivable quicker, rebuild what you got.

I think you have someone that was adding hot rod parts to a fairly low mile rebuild when he passed. New cam, couldnt get it running right got it hot and started taking it apart..

Just a guess. We'll never know
    Nathan and Jen Cooper
    63 Sprint Hardtop "Dollora"
    63 Super deluxe squire wagon "Mayble"
    * this spot is vacant for future project*

I'll echo what Nathan said. Who knows what was happening to it before. Best guess for me is that it was coming apart, but sounds like he was not very methodical about it.

The cheapest fix would be to clean up what you have and do what used to be called "an overhaul" - the bare minimum. Today they call it refreshing the motor. This starts by cleaning it all up - well - then determine exactly what it is you have. I'm pretty sure you can put a 289 crank in a 302 block, or vice verse, so just make sure you know it's not already a 302 with 289 heads. Lots can happen in 50 years.

Mic the crank and get some emery cloth and polish the journals - or send it out to be mic'd and polished. 90% of the time the shop will ignore this request and say "it needs a grind." And maybe it does. It might be cheaper than to buy a mic set if you don't already have them and won't ever use them again.

Once you start pulling things out you'll need to replace some things. You'd need to be ultra careful pulling those lifters out if they are to be used again, to get them into the exact same holes if there is a chance they've ever been run. Rings can't be reused again either once pulled out - unless it was never run, as well.

You should get a full set of bearings, gasket set, and rings, choose a cam grind of your choice - hone the cylinders - and reassemble it. It'll run and drive. Look on eBay and you'll find a hundred kits for sale for about $250 with all this stuff, or many engine parts warehouses will have bundled kits, as well, for a discount. Many will even include a new oil pump and timing chain set, which I'd do as well. Once you do everything it'll probably still add up to near a $1000 with machine shop and all the little while-I'm-at-it extras. Always does.

If you are wanting a roller motor, keep your eye out for a 80's/90's Mustang or Explorer with all the stuff you need (including the computer and wiring) and probably for less than $500-$1000 you can maybe get the stuff you need. It'll be of unknown condition, usually, so be aware this isn't always a sure thing.

In all, have fun, learn what you can from it.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"