Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Know anything about reverberators?

Progress

The e-bay seller had listed this device as a Studiosonic that had Motorola R200 stamped on the back. Ford used Motorola radios so it made sense that the Studiosonic would be made by Motorola.

I studied a couple of low resolution schematics of the Studiosonic and they were a little different from what I had. I finally realized that while Studiosonics were made by Motorola, a Motorola was not a Studiosonic and that I have a Motorola Vibrasonic R200.

Mine could be a period correct after market item. But, quoting a guy on a Pontiac LeMans bulletin board: "Fords & Mopars got factory Motorola Vibrasonic R200 reverbs. Fords also got FoMoCo ones. Delco units were only available from the factory in Buicks, Oldsmobiles, and Pontiacs ... not Chevrolets." So, it might have been a Ford factory or dealer installation.

I looked on e-bay and found a "1962 1963 MOTOROLA AUTO CAR RADIO VIBRASONIC SYSTEM SERVICE MANUAL BROCHURE R200" for $12.99 with postage included. It will be mailed from Fort Wayne, Indiana. "Original H.W. Sams Co. Inc. auto radio "Vibrasonic" reverberation system service manual pages for 1962 and 1963 cars. This manual is for Motorola model number R200 and has 3 pages. Pages are loose. Dated 6/63. Includes service information, wiring diagrams, circuit photos, parts list and descriptions. The model number of your system is located on the unit. Good used condition. Shows slight handling and storage age." Perfect. This will help a lot:
    Vibrasonic R200 Service Manual 1.jpg

Vibrasonic R200 Service Manual 2.jpg Vibrasonic R200 Service Manual 3.jpg

I saw this internet picture of a Motorola Vibrasonic R200 with a paper label on the back:
    Back with label.jpg

My unit did not have that label:
    Reverberator 3 wothout label.jpg

So, I cropped and printed the photo of the label to fit the dimensions of where the label was supposed to have been on mine and made a reproduction:
    My reproduction label.jpg
    Last edited by ew1usnr; December 30th, 2015 at 05:39 PM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)

Dennis, I'd recap this at the very least. Looks like I see a big electrolytic in there. Most of these old capacitors dry out and will make the thing hum like crazy. Or the electrolytic with blow.

If you want a good source for stuff like that, I buy parts from https://www.tubesandmore.com/ and they've got a lot of what you might need. Helps you found a Sam's Photofact book on it. Shoot, using that, we could all have one!
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Quote Originally Posted by Luva65wagon View Post
    Dennis, I'd recap this at the very least. Looks like I see a big electrolytic in there.
    Hello, Roger.

I received the Motorola R-200 technical specifications yesterday. The big electrolytic capacitor is a 100-500-500MFD/16VDC beastie. I found where to get a replacement "SPRAGUE TVL-3026.8", but it is $20 +$6 postage. I will wait until after I get this thing wired up and see what it does before I start replacing parts.

What I need to find first is an on/off potentiometer. The schematic shows the unit with a 9A fuse on the input power lead with a note saying "0.4A @ 12.6V". This indicates a 5 watt power capacity.

The schematic shows a 200 ohm potentiometer. So I need a 12v, 200 ohm, 5 watt pot, preferably with a built in on/off switch, and have not been able to find one.

Can you suggest a more commonly available size that would still be "close enough" to substitute?

Do you think that this would work? I can add a separate on/off switch: "5W 250 OhM WIREWOUND POTENTIOMETER TGL 44x38 RFT GERMANY". $6 + $7 postage.

5W 250 OhM WIREWOUND POTENTIOMETER TGL 44x38 RFT GERMANY.jpg

See: http://www.ebay.com/itm/5W-250-OhM-W...AAAOxyn9BRbmOm

This one might be better because it has a shorter shaft: "220 OHM Wirewound Potentiometer Panel Control Pot 5W 2 pcs". $9.98 for two + free postage from Hong Kong.

220 OHM Wirewound Potentiometer Panel Control Pot 5W 2 pcs.jpg

See: http://www.ebay.com/itm/220-OHM-Wire...QAAOSw~gRVzkA5
    Thanks, Dennis.
    Last edited by ew1usnr; January 3rd, 2016 at 09:40 AM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

Hi Dennis, I have a few electronic projects under my belt. I usually put together a list and place a big order with these guys.

http://www.digikey.com/

My last project was a bat detector. A little device that lets you heard the ultrasonic voices that bats use to locate their prey.

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA
    '63 Tudor Wagon (170 - 3 spd.)

Same Bat Time. Same Bat Channel.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff W View Post
    My last project was a bat detector. A little device that lets you heard the ultrasonic voices that bats use to locate their prey.
    Hello, Jeff.

Cool! Did it work? I saw an animated Disney movie about a scientist who had been listening to bat squeaks. He slowed them down and overheard flying pixies that were talking to one another.

Thanks for the electronics resource tip. Lots of interesting stuff there.

I will go with this type switch because I like the screw terminals and the On/Off label: "Shoreline Marine SL52107 Toggle (On-Off) 2 Poisition Switch Chrome Finger Lever". $3.98 with free postage from China.

Shoreline Marine SL52107 Toggle (On-Off) 2 Poisition Switch Chrome Finger Lever.jpg

I can't resist.
    bat man.jpg
    TV show theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qP-NglUeZU
    Last edited by ew1usnr; January 3rd, 2016 at 01:15 PM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

Dennis, the bat detector works wonderfully. It does just as your pixie description states, it uses a divider circuit to lower the frequency to human ear levels. I haven't heard any conversations yet, just clicking. Maybe I need more imagination.

It was designed by a nice man named Tony Messina out of Nevada. He posted all the details to build your own and even offers the bare circuit board for sale. He offered great support and loves to spread his interest in bats and electronics.

Here is his link:

http://home.earthlink.net/~bat-detector/

At the bottom of the link there is a .wav file of what it sounds like.

I was able to apply another of my hobbies and built a little wooden box to house the detector and a few accessories.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jeff W; January 3rd, 2016 at 04:38 PM.

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA
    '63 Tudor Wagon (170 - 3 spd.)

Bats

Hello, Jeff.

Cool! I listened to the wave file and was surprised to hear a series of "clicks". Thanks for posting the link. The electronic device is surprisingly compact and the cabinet is very well made. I especially like the bat logo.

I see bats here in Tampa flitting over the road while driving to work in the early morning. They roost in the "aprons" of dead palm fronds (leaves) that form around the crowns of sabal palms.

It has been fun studying the schematics for this old reverberator. It has been a long time since I have traced circuits and tried to figure out how they worked. I had to look up a PNP transistor because I had forgotten what they did.

Dennis.
    Last edited by ew1usnr; January 4th, 2016 at 02:29 AM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"