Thread: Wipers not working on my 67 Sports Coupe

phila Guest

Wipers not working on my 67 Sports Coupe

Hi all,
    hopefully someone can help me with a problem I'm having with the wipers on my 67 Sports Coupe. I cant get them to go ... Ive looked in the book and it says that the 'circuit breaker' is located as part of the swiper witch.... But before I start pulling the dash apart. I want to know how I can test if this really is the problem .... How can I test the motor?
    If the ciruit breaker has blown then can this be reset? or dies ir need to be replaced?

Ive also noticed at the same time the washer isnt working either ..... it was working before....

Any help greatly appreciated

regards
    phil

Phil,

I think the clue to your problem was in the statement about the washer not working now either. So I would check the fuse. I'm not in possession of a wiring diagram for your car, but if you have knowledge of where you wiper circuit gets its power from (fuse box, fusible link at the starter solenoid, or a circuit breaker somewhere), you need to just measure the voltage on both sides of this "fuse." If you got juice on one side and not the other, then that part needs to be replaced.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

phila Guest
    Thanks Roger... I'll look further into it
    the only thing I know from the book is that there is a circuit breaker in the actual wiper switch ... I assume I'll have to pull out the dash gauge housing to do it
    regards
    Phil

If there is a circuit breaker it should reset once it cools off. I doubt it has a reset button. I'm with Roger on the fuse.

To test the motor I would think you could find the positive lead from the motor and jump it with some wire to the battery. It may have a negative lead too or just ground to the body.

If the fuse looks good, check the switch.

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

phila Guest
    Thanks Kenny
    my gut feel is that its the switch as all the fuses look good ...but I'll take your advice and test the motor first... just a matter of working out which wire .... id really like to find a wiring diagram for it

regards
    phil

The switch gets it's power from somewhere, but the fact that neither the wipers nor the washer works now says to me that it is not the switch. These two circuits in the switch are not the same one -- they only have one common connection; in other words -- the power wire.

Does this have a two-speed wiper? If so, it may be similar wiring colors to mine since Ford really didn't change colors much. My 67 pickup has a similar setup as my Falcon. In fact there is a wiring diagram somewhere on this forum Patrick and I both posted to allow adding the intermittent wiper switch into our cars, so I'll find it and maybe that'll help if there is an similarity with yours.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"