Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gas tank flushes??

Gas tank flushes??

Ok, I'm tired of dealing with water in Penny's tank.
    So I dropped the tank to find out that the tank is fairly new. The tank looks like it was changed in the last 5 years or so.. New sending unit too..
    The inside still looks new, but I have lots of moisture in there that isnt gas..
    I've called the radiator shops.. one told me I'd be better off buying new.. Even though I explained that it isnt rusty just lots of water.. But who wants to take something to someone that really doesnt want to do it?
    The other shop said that it's getting to cold and to call back in the spring?? since when is 50* too cold??

So what other ways can I flush a gas tank? I can buy the por 15 tank kit, but rather not spend $180 plus shipping..
    I'm thinking buy a gallon of diesel fuel and slosh it around in the tank and drain it.. maybe that will remove the water?

Any Ideas?

Nathan
    Nathan and Jen Cooper
    63 Sprint Hardtop "Dollora"
    63 Super deluxe squire wagon "Mayble"
    * this spot is vacant for future project*

Does it have the drain plug in the corner? Pull the plug and drain the fluid. Leave the sender and filler off. Then place the tank in a dry place with good ventilation to air out. Maybe use a fan to flow air through.

Blow out your fuel lines with an air hose to be sure they are clear.

Blow out the tank vent tube also.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

If it were me I'd pick up a gallon of acetone and plug all the holes after pouring 1/2 of it in. Then I'd slosh it around and around to dissolve anything that's in there. Then I'd drain it out and do what Patrick said. Acetone is very fast evaporating and it reall should rinse out anything in there. Then if there's any doubt pour the 2nd half in after you drain the first half and do it again.

I don't get what those guys are saying. I think they just sdon't want to mess with gas tanks now.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

roger,
    you hit it on the nose..the one place I did find that was willing to do it wanted $150 to do it.
    supposedly it has something to do with recyling the waste water..why most shops don't touch gas tanks..

I was either going to use por 15 marine clean and skip the metal ready and the sealer.. the tank looks really good inside.. and out..

But I like your acetone idea.. question is the film that acetone leaves isn't going to cause problems??

Nathan
    Nathan and Jen Cooper

FWIW, acetone is the solvent Loctite recommends before you glue things together because it leaves no residue whatsoever. I think, assuming this stuff is soluble at all in acetone, of which there is no guarantee, you will get it very clean this way. And then you can use the polluted acetone, like I do, to clean greasy parts and stuff. You should be able to prop the tank up on the fill flange and drain any fluid out first. It would then be residue you are trying to dilute and remove. Right?
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

My dad belongs to a group of old guys that restore airplanes. They use a gallon of WD-40 to clean the tanks on the old birds. After they drain the gallon out, they re-use the "waste" for it's original purpose. A gallon runs about $15

WD-40...Water Displacement, 40th formula...that's what I would use. Acetone would work too but would raise the danger level!

Any WD-40 left would just mix with the first tank of gas and burn up. It's all hydrocarbons.

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

I'm thinking I'll use the Marine clean, becasue i'm being cheap and have it around.. I can then add the waste to my parts washer. Marine clean is water based like the stuff in my washer..

then I'll rinse it like the directions say and follow it with some wd40..

sounds good to you all?

then maybe I'll be able to get this car to run..

Nathan
    Nathan and Jen Cooper

Nathan,

Doesn't sound like you could go wrong with that plan. Whatever you use needs to be able to dissolve that stuff, so I'd put a little of that crud in a jar and see if what you plan to use mixes with it or just floats above or below it. If it will mix it will dilute and hopefully dissolve it as well. Enough of anything that mixes with it will minimize its existence when it's all drained out.

Good luck!
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"