Thread: Steering wheel cover ad from 1969

Steering wheel cover ad from 1969

I had one of these lace-on steering wheel covers on the Falcon station wagon that I drove while in high school in the late 1970's. It looked pretty sharp (at least I thought so). The Falcon I have now came with a black steering wheel cover. I have left it on and will replace it when it wears out. You can still buy this brand at auto parts stores and from Amazon. The "Truckline Sport Grip" fits wheels 16" - 18", but only comes in black and blue colors. The "Sport Grip 500" fits wheels up to 16 1/2" and comes in black, blue, tan, grey, red, and white. You can fit the 16 1/2" cover on a 17" steering wheel if you first soak the cover in hot water to get it more pliable. Then just pull it on slowly while allowing the material time to stretch. When it cools down it will fit tightly to the steering wheel. The cover provides cushioning and I like to think of it as having added a "padded dash" to my steering wheel.

1969 Steering Wheel Cover Ad.jpg
    Last edited by ew1usnr; June 30th, 2013 at 05:46 AM.

Clearly shows the trend advertising was focused on back then... Oh wait, I think my current car magazines have ads with similar images, but tend to leave the "gender specific" component out of the copy. I mean, isn't a picture worth a thousand words?
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"