Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Freddie comes alive!

9 days since last update? Hopefully there have been no deaths in the family or medical problems....otherwise:
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

I did take a few days off to go down and visit my mom in Oregon, but otherwise I'll blame the Easter Bunny.

I've been changing my mind on some things regarding direction and have decided to go back to battery under the hood. I had a new tray to replace the one that had rotted away, so that got put in yesterday. This change meant I needed a riser for the air plenum to direct it over the motor towards the driver-side. That riser came yesterday and doesn't fit the Holley without a slight modification, so will finish that change today.

Exhaust is in for what I'm going to do myself. Tailpipes will get done in a shop.

I'm going to install the same radio Gary had in it (since the original Radio knobs vanished into the ether) but will upgrade the system a bit with a amp in the trunk and kick panel speakers and dash speakers pulled from my wagon, but nothing like I was going to do. K.I.S.S!

Gene is swinging by this morning to help me bleed the brakes, and with that done I will start the seat rebuilding. New foam has arrived and will really help firm Freddie up in important places.

Hopefully that satisfies an addiction or two. Will post some pictures soon.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

I find myself getting distracted often and doing lots of tedious little things, but nothing to speak much of, or photograph.

As I await to hear back from Patrick on radio stuff I've moved on to doors, which I have been avoiding. I took the passenger door apart to first fix the lock Gary said was undone, which it was, but of course that opened a whole can of WIAI™ that used up the rest of evening. I removed the rear glass channel (not fun) and put some new felt in it; it had gone metal-on-metal. Then pulled the door weatherstripping, cleaned the interior of the door, cleaned up some surface rust issues - and then applied POR-15 to treat it all. Also POR-15'd the lower door panel track. Fortunately the exposed chrome was all very good and no POR-15 should be evident, but caught it just in time. I'll eventually paint all this and other areas that didn't get the new blue before putting on the new door weatherstripping.

I did finish up my part of the exhaust, as I mentioned, and this is what it's like until I get it to the shop.

exhaust4.jpg

After installing the new battery tray and relocating the air plenum towards the driver side, this is the way it will be.

enginebay6.jpg

I ran it again when Gene was here to help bleed the brakes, and it sounds and runs really nice. Tailpipes will be better, but it's very cool sounding. Oh so close to being done.

Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

There is a mandrel bent tailpipe kit that works well on the Falcon.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/f.../model/mustang

It 2.5" and is for early V8 Mustangs. You can use reducers to connect these to whatever size muffler you have.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

Quote Originally Posted by pbrown View Post
    There is a mandrel bent tailpipe kit that works well on the Falcon
    I used similar on the Ranchero. I'm wanting to have them bent to fit, I think.

Thanks for dropping off the radio. I was in the garage when you came, but now that I have it I'm in a quandary. It has no option other than using their CD player, whereas the one Gary had, with the cassette deck, had a cassette adapter for aux in. So, which to use... Going to see if I can trace out the connector to see which three wires are left/right/ground for LL-input.

I spent the past couple days working on the doors to get them ready for some touch-up painting, as well as the fender/cowl. Sadly the paint Gary supplied as touch-up was not exactly the same shade. Not sure why. As I was working on the door jambs I saw the same color there, but sprayed over stickers and hardware. So all that got cleaned up and I resprayed - here came that color again. Oh well; looks better than before and maybe nobody will notice. I can now put on the remaining new parts; i.e., seals and other rubber parts. Seats will come after that... and that will do it for this round.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

I see what you mean on the color. It looks too green.

Regarding that radio. The company makes other adapters that interface with the CD in port. They sell a new BlueTooth kit for ~$80. I had an iPod kit with the older style Apple connector but that's pretty dated. As a stand alone it's only good for basic AM/FM.

You may be able to build your own aux in if you can figure our the CD port pinout.
    Patrick Brown

Freddie has a nose again.

Now that I got all the touch-up painting done I was able to put the new cowl seal and hood bumpers on with cleaned-up bolts. I also scrubbed the underside of the hood to make it presentable.

hood1.jpg

One thing I discovered when I first opened the hood on Freddie was the absence of the safety catch for the hood. So today I made one...

hood_safety1.jpg

...so this could hook onto it...

hood_safety2.jpg

...like this...

hood_safety3.jpg

...in case the hood came un-done while driving it will catch like this...

hood_safety4.jpg

I also removed the hood pin to straighten the the nut in the hood since the pin was askew. While the pin was off I lowered the hood to check alignment and adjusted that somewhat and set the front rubber bumper stops. Once adjusted I reattached the pin and safety and set the latch. When that was all good I put the grille on after getting it cleaned and straightened up again. Freddie is nearing to be Freddie again.

freddie_nose.jpg
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

It looks great Roger. You do know that you need to paint the bottom side of the hood now.
    Patrick Brown

I'm thinking something Peter Maxx like to keep with the era. I don't want a sea of aqua greenish blue.

Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

Weekend Update

I'm officially down to one thing - the seats. Gene stopped by for a visit on Thursday and I asked if he'd take them apart so I could start the work on them when I was done with the interior work. He was happy to, so this is where they sit awaiting that. Should be able to stat that on Monday, and hopefully they go fast. I've got all new foam for them and new burlap. The springs all seem to be unbroken.

seats.jpg

Since my last update I DynaMat'd the doors and reinstalled the door panels and speakers Gary had installed into it. The kick panels with speaker holes were in my wagon and I painted them up and installed some decent speakers I had laying around and chased the wires to the back where I've got an amp installed (got it in a free box at a garage sale!). When I was done with all of that I installed new weatherstripping on the doors. I do have a couple rubber things to install in the window track just above and behind the wing window.

doorWS.jpg

While I was running the power wire to said amp, I pulled the defroster tube off to better access the place I was bringing that wire through the firewall - and out fell the zip-loc baggie holding the radio knobs. I guess I put that baggie on the dash while the defrost cover was still off and down they went. At least I know I'm not going crazy... about that anyway.

So I sort'a went back to my original plan to add a better radio, which happens to be a marine radio I got at an estate sale. I'm sorry Patrick for having you drive all the way up north, so I owe you one. If you don't want the radio back, I'll make sure to donate it to someone else who's in need.

interior1.jpg interior2.jpg

I see a test drive in the very near future!
    Last edited by Luva65wagon; April 30th, 2017 at 12:19 AM.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"