Thread: ew1usnr I've now got whatever you've got :-)

ew1usnr I've now got whatever you've got :-)

After at least a year or two of reading your comments about the joys of a bone stock factory original car has begun to affect me, I now want to return my one mostly stock Falcon to stock and keep it that way. I even want to return the original factory air cleaner and I no longer want to remove the stock generator.

I don't really want to change anything on the car anymore, though I will leave the 1 inch anti-sway bar on it. Now I want a car like you have, factory bone stock the way the engineers intended it to be! I want to yank the alloy radiator I installed this past summer and buy a factory stock radiator for it. You've created a monster ew1usnr!

Deviations

Quote Originally Posted by Wilbur View Post
    After at least a year or two of reading your comments about the joys of a bone stock factory original car has begun to affect me, I now want to return my one mostly stock Falcon to stock and keep it that way.
    Hello, Wilbur.

Trying to stay stock can lead you down its own rabbit hole. I read a magazine article where a guy was complaining about how some people said that they had "restored" a car but had put a stainless steel exhaust system on it. He said that the original car did not have a stainless steel exhaust so the car was "repaired" and not restored.

I have a a dual reservoir brake master brake cylinder, a radiator fluid expansion tank, and a center-mount brake light that a purist would find fault with.

There are some things where I deviated from original thinking that it would be an improvement, but ended up wishing that I had stayed stock. For example, I bought a 16 gallon replacement gas tank because it was bigger and a lot less expensive than a stock 14 gallon tank. Now, when my gas gauge reads "E", there is still four gallons remaining. The gas tank does not match the gauge. If I had gotten the original sized tank it would probably have better matched the gauge.

Also, my car had dual exhaust with rusted out glass packs when I got it. I replaced the glass packs with two flat mufflers because it was cheaper than replacing the whole exhaust and dual exhaust is supposed to be better. But, the two mufflers are under the floor behind the front seat and more heat and noise enter the car's cabin. If I had put it back to the original one muffler, the muffler would be beneath the trunk, where it is as far away from the cabin as possible. Oh, well.

Take a look at this car that I saw at a car show this past weekend. I at first thought that it was an original, unaltered 1962 Falcon.
    IMG_0203.jpg

It had original upholstery:
    IMG_0200.jpg

It had the original 144 motor:
    IMG_0201.jpg

It had the original Ford-O-Matic and original deluxe white steering wheel
    IMG_0202.jpg

And then I realized, it was missing its door handles! Out of all the things this owner could have fixed, the first thing he did was remove the door handles! Why?? He did do a nice job. He matched the faded blue paint so close that you cannot even tell where the holes were.
    IMG_0199.jpg
    Last edited by ew1usnr; January 12th, 2016 at 05:14 PM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)

The dual circuit brake master cylinder is one deviation that's good sense if you're going to use a Falcon as a daily driver. Two of my Falcons had dual circuit, and as you may have noticed from my recent post, I'm about to install a dual in my other Falcon.

It's the Cobra Automotive alloy dual circuit but I'm not sure if it will fit, it's '67 Mustang and a cast iron '67 Mustang master fit in my other Falcon, but this alloy master is "puffed up" to about 20 percent larger.

That sky blue '62 Falcon is nice, looks like a great driver, but me, I'll keep the door handles but I can see how easy it is to miss. Until I read what you wrote I didn't notice, of course I often look at the pictures first. :-)

Puffy master cylinder

Quote Originally Posted by Wilbur View Post
    It's the Cobra Automotive alloy dual circuit but I'm not sure if it will fit, it's '67 Mustang and a cast iron '67 Mustang master fit in my other Falcon, but this alloy master is "puffed up" to about 20 percent larger.
    Hello, Wilbur.

As long as it is not too tall, it should fit. I have a cast iron 1967 master cylinder and it has a lot of open space around it.

Here is a view from the right:
    top coupling.jpg

And here is of the left:
    dual cylinder.jpg

lines off dual cylinder.jpg

Dennis.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)

Dennis, I also bought the bigger replacement gas tank (for the same reasons)...

As for the gas gage, I haven't tested it yet, but there is a matching fuel sending unit for the larger tank that I ASSume takes care of your gage problem. You know what assume means, but you might check that out. (See what I mean about one thing leads to another??)

Also, the larger tank doesn't have the indention for the muffler...so mine is going to be pretty tight. Seems like it will fit ok...but we'll see.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree