Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Old Car Safety

Brackets and vices

Quote Originally Posted by Luva65wagon View Post
    I figured you would have needed it to angle-up to clear the other belt to also allow turning it around. If you can get the angled one, I would.
    Hello, Roger.

This is my e-mail exchange with Race Ready Products:

"The picture shows three different brackets with the part number 11549.
    When placing an order, how do I specify that I want the angled on the right?
    Thanks, Dennis."

"The bracket we can get now looks a little different. Michael Ceniceros"
    Agled Bracket.png

"That will work. What part number do I use to order it? Thanks, Dennis."

"We do not have the number on our site just yet. You can call us to place an order. These ends are same price as the others, $10 pair. Thank you,
    -Mike."

Quote Originally Posted by Luva65wagon View Post
    No bench vice! I got one or two extra I could send you...
    I don't have a work bench either! It's a problem. I usually turn a garbage can upside down and that is my work surface.
    Last edited by ew1usnr; February 4th, 2016 at 05:47 PM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)

Flat Tire.

Quote Originally Posted by ew1usnr View Post
    I bought a set of five Milestar P175/80R13 tires on 8/04/12 and have about 13,500 miles on them. I hope to put maybe another 15,000 miles on these tires and then replace them with a set of bigger P185/80R13 tires.
    Oh, well. I did not quite make another 15,000 miles. I drove the car to work this morning and had no problems. When I saw the car at lunch time the left rear tire was flat.
    Flat tire 2-05-2016 002.jpg

My first impulse was to yell "Falcon down! Falcon down! Someone call 911!"

Then I remembered that I had a jack and a spare. The transmission was in park and I set the parking brake and jacked the back end up. The car was on a slight incline, it rolled back partly over the jack, and I had to disengage the jack and start over again. The right rear was locked in place by the transmission, but with the left rear wheel off the ground and the two front wheels free to roll, the car wanted to rotate around the single fixed point of the right rear wheel.

If you use the bumper jack to lift the back of the car, get a set of wheel chocks for the front tires. I stopped by Pep Boys auto parts on the way home and bought a pair for $6.75. "The RhinoGear Heavy Duty Wheel Chock is not your ordinary chock. These nestable chocks have extra support and a hard plastic grip which keeps your tires from sliding. Made in the U.S.A."
    RhinoGear-HeavyDutyWheelChock .99.jpg

Anyway, I got the flat tire off and replaced it with my spare that only has about 4,500 miles on it. I looked at the flat tire and didn't see any nails. I used an electric tire pump to inflate the tire to find where the leak was and found a ½-inch cut in the side wall. The tire cannot be repaired and needs to be replaced.
    Flat tire sidewall 2-05-16 001.jpg

Flat tire sidewall 2-05-16 002.jpg

So, I looked on Amazon and found the same tire for $62.99 with free shipping.
    See: http://www.amazon.com/1-New-Milestar...rds=MS775+P175

I will put the worn right rear tire in my trunk for the spare and replace it with this new tire.
    Last edited by ew1usnr; February 6th, 2016 at 09:16 AM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

Bummer on the tire Dennis.....was it "cut" or was it actually split open (essentially dry rot)? I have been worried about buying lower volume tires (especially online) because their inventory might be old. Did you check the date code on the tire to see how old it is?

Here is a link in case you are not familiar with how to check it. I'm curious to know how old the new ones actually are too.
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...160206163233:s

Also, could the tire possibly be covered under warranty?
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Actually....now that I open the pic full size on my iPad I see it was different than I thought.
    Looks like a small side puncture. I can also see your tire date code is 0812 which is week 8 of the year 2012. Almost new tires! What a bummer.
    Anyway, in case you don't have it, I did find their warranty and a place to register your new tires on their website.
    http://www.tireco.com/warranty
    http://www.tireco.com/registration/
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

A 20-week old tire.

Quote Originally Posted by dhbfaster View Post
    Did you check the date code on the tire to see how old it is?
    Hello, Don.

I received the P175/80R13 M775 WSW Milestar All Season Touring SLE M+S rated tire that I ordered from Amazon six days ago.
    Note: "A sidewall mark of M+S (or M/S, M&S, MS) means that you have an all-season tire that has been approved for use in mud and snow by the Rubber Manufacturer's Association (RMA)".

IMG_0308.jpg

The tire has a 3915 date code.

IMG_0309.jpg

Your reference said: "Since 2000, the week and year the tire was produced has been provided by the last four digits of the Tire Identification Number with the 2 digits being used to identify the week immediately preceding the 2 digits used to identify the year."

52 - 39 = 13 weeks of 2015 + 7 weeks of 2016 = a 20 week old tire. Wow!

The tire weighed 15.2 lbs on a bathroom scale.
    Last edited by ew1usnr; February 11th, 2016 at 04:12 PM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

Nice! Fresh rubber.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Bad news and good news

I still notice a vibration in the 55 - 65 mph range that is not there at other speeds.
    Olin Mott tire shop says: "Is your vehicle vibrating at certain speeds, say, between 50 and 70 mph? If so, chances are your wheel is out of balance. Look for these signs, and if you find either one, come see us:
    Scalloped, erratic wear pattern on tires.
    Vibration in steering wheel, seat, or floorboard at certain speeds."

See: http://www.olinmott.com/service-desc...heel-balancing

They were describing my problem exactly. I went there yesterday to have my new tire mounted and had all five wheels balanced.

The bad news was that they said that the two left wheels were out of round.
    The good news is now that the problem has been identified it can be fixed.

When they spun one of the the wheels I could visually see that it was not quite round. They recommended against moving the tires off those two wheels because the tires would have worn to the shape of the out of round wheel. They put the new tire on the wheel that was in the trunk and put it on the left front. The previous left front wheel went in the trunk, and the two rear wheels were swapped to opposite sides. This put two good wheels on the front, one bad wheel on the right rear farthest from the driver, and the other bad wheel in the trunk as a spare.

That made a big immediate improvement to the feel of the car. It is nice to drive without the steering wheel vibrating.

So, .... I need two good 13-inch 5-lug wheels. The February National Falcon magazine listed an ad from a guy in Colorado who has those wheels for $50 each. I just sent him a request and asked how much they will be with postage.

It will be fantastic if I can get this car to run vibration-free at highway speeds.
    Last edited by ew1usnr; February 13th, 2016 at 04:17 AM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

Fantastic

It will be fantastic if I can get this car to run vibration-free at highway speeds.
    The car had been shaking at between 55 and 65 mph.

I drove the car at 60 mph (dead center of the previous shake zone) and there was not any shaking. Yay!!

After balancing the wheels and putting two new tires on the front end, there was nothing to feel at 60 mph that was any different that at 50 mph.

The Wonder Falcon runs really nice now. Smooth and quiet at all speeds.

It took me 3 1/2 years of fiddling to get it to this point.
    Last edited by ew1usnr; February 24th, 2016 at 05:36 PM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

Nice!,
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

One less 1966 Fairlane

Classic car slams into pole; driver hospitalized

1966 Fairlane.JPG

By: FOX 13 News staff
    POSTED:JUL 20 2016 12:25PM EDT

INDIAN SHORES (FOX 13) - A crash involving a 50-year-old classic car is under investigation in Pinellas County.
    Deputies say it was around 4 a.m. when Ronald Bartlett drove a 1966 Ford Fairlane into a utility pole on Gulf Boulevard in Indian Shores.
    Bartlett, 54, suffered life-threatening injuries and was flown to Bayfront Medical Center.
    Deputies aren’t sure why he ran into the pole.

See: http://www.fox13news.com/news/local-...77060252-story
    Last edited by ew1usnr; July 21st, 2016 at 03:55 PM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

Non-collapsing steering column. You can see the steering wheel was impacted good.

He's way off the road - over a parking strip and sidewalk to get to that pole. Probably exhibition of speed, or fell asleep. Hope and pray he recovers.

Wonder if he's related to Don Bartlett? Don?
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"