Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: 302 for Smithkid

Ranchero is looking awesome Gene (Roger). Hopefully this spring I can have all you come over and help me put mine back together!! (fingers crossed)

The weather cooperated enough for me to sneak to the muffler shop between showers. Of course, as I pulled out of my street to the main city street, a police cruiser went past me and pulled over to the curb waiting for me to go past. I stopped behind him and told him I was on the way to get the mufflers hooked up, and he said, no problem, thanks for stopping. After arriving, I discovered the electrical system wasn't charging and with the engine being tight, it wouldn't restart, While it was being worked on, we put his charger on it, and I made it home w/o killing the motor. So...... another problem to sort out. I had already discovered in the last couple years working on this that I'm not as perfect as I had imagined. I didn't need Murphy to confirm again. Oh well......
    Last edited by SmithKid; February 8th, 2012 at 01:17 PM.

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

What kind of mufflers did you decide on... and how does it sound?

The good news is it made a trip out of the garage under its own power!! That is a giant step. I like the radiator, which did you go with?
    Oh yeah how did it run, and did you enjoy driving it again? (other than the electrical issue)

FWIW Gene had his old tail-pipe and mufflers, which we very new (mileage-wise), hooked up to his new Doug's Headers. Two short s-bend pipes to connect the middles.

Like me (who is not perfect either, regardless of what Steve says... ) had to work through a lot of bugs when the Flarechero hit the road. Still working them out. Gene will be for a while too.

Gene has issues with the starter he bought, because they wouldn't sell him the one he needed due to some stupid core charge/swap nonsense. He may have to get a different starter and swallow a core charge (unless we can find the right core to match the starter they say he needs).

He's now needing to investigate some really noisy lifters, which became that much more apparently noisy when the headers were connected. That is top on his list and I plan to go over there tonight and help him diagnose that.

OK Gene, sorry for hi-jacking and taking away your joy, as usual. You know me, I do that with forum threads, tools, paint cans...
    Last edited by Luva65wagon; February 9th, 2012 at 02:25 PM.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

starters

Please post the numbers that he needs , or a picture of it . I have a couple laying around here. He is welcome to them.

The mufflers that were on the car (turbo style) were ones that I had put on a couple of years ago. However, they have probably less than 50 miles on them (the old head pipes aren't even discolored). So I just had Hutch at Beyond Repair connect the new collectors to them again. Everything behind the collectors is 2 1/4". I like the sound: not too loud, but still sounds like a V-8.

The radiator is a Champion unit. I ordered and paid for a 3-row, as you did Steve. But I got a 4-row delivered. Don't know why, but I'm not complaining.

Roger & I pulled the valve covers tonight and found all the rockers loose., as we suspected yesterday after discussion. He stopped at home after work tonight and brought a couple sets of pushrods with him that proved our finding that the pushrods were too short. It's mechanically quiet with longer pushrods in it and runs MUCH better. I'll pick up a new set tomorrow hopefully. Then....

On to the more minor problems!

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

Went to the Action Auto Parts store on N Aurora this AM with my 2 pushrod lengths. The machine shop manager there told me the pushrods that were in the motor were for a 289 and therefore, too short. The pushrods that Roger had in his arsenal were the correct length for the 302. I said I wanted to order the correct ones. He went and got them off the shelf somewhere and when he rang them up they were very reasonable. So, I installed them this afternoon and all is much improved.

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"