Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1963 Ford Falcon Hardtop.

1963 Ford Falcon Hardtop.

Freddie is For Sale.

It is not restored, but it underwent a “three-week makeover” several years ago, in which I removed all the trim, neutralized and smoothed rust spots (it wasn’t rusted through anywhere…), sanded and primed it, then got a Maaco acrylic enamel paint job. The bumpers were re-chromed at the same time, and it has new reproduction seat covers so the interior looks really nice also.
    It has a modified 200 six and a freshly-rebuilt C4 automatic trans with V8 clutch pack, Transgo shift kit, and a Hughes Performance torque converter. The engine has a rare Classic Inlines aluminum head and intake manifold, a 390 cfm Holley carb, Clay Smith 264-degree cam, and ceramic-coated headers.
    It is not perfect, but is good enough to enjoy right away, and is completely roadworthy and reliable.
    I’d let her go in a heartbeat for $12K, but all offers will be considered.
    Contact Gary at 425-788-4136 if you are interested.

Some additional pictures available at:
    http://s35.photobucket.com/user/grma...deshow/Freddie
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MacDee; April 6th, 2016 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Added link to Photobucket slideshow
    Gary MacDonald
    ROGER's...
    EX... '63 Hardtop
    Had...
    Scarebird front discs
    200 w/ CI alum head
    C4

Wow really nice car. You do know that you will have great regrets at a later date?

Gary, I feel like I have been with you and Freddie every step of the way. I wish I had the space to continue your good work. Freddie will make someone a unique and amazing car.

My opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff W View Post
    Gary, Freddie will make someone a unique and amazing car.
    In my opinion, Freddie is a collection of mechanical parts. He is not a demon that wants to destroy you. Park the car for six months, think about it, and then correct the remaining problems. He will be a nice little Falcon, with a jazzy motor.
    Last edited by ew1usnr; March 30th, 2016 at 08:40 PM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)

I see the Forum has been pretty quite, so I'll try to stir things up with an update on my attempts to sell Freddie.

My attempts to sell Freddie have been tentative, to say the least, but I have made some attempts. She has been listed here on the Rainier Falcons site, of course, but also in the Boeing employee’s classified ads, and in the Seattle Times NWAutos classified ads, both on-line and in print editions. There have been no “nibbles” from any of those listings.

I also have been parking the car at the end of our driveway on weekends with “For Sale” signs in her while we’ve been out working in the yard. She has attracted quite a bit of attention from this! Many people have stopped to look, but there are a couple of exchanges worthy of stories:

On one occasion, three girls stopped to look. One of them seemed really excited! As I approached, two of them seemed very young and one seemed a bit older. The older one approached, and introduced herself and her two daughters. The one that was exited was her oldest daughter who was just about to graduate from high school, and was going to need a car to commute to college. She, the daughter, really, really, REALLY liked Freddie! I showed them the car, explained its mechanical situation (freshly rebuilt modified engine and transmission, etc.). The mother explained what the car would be used for, if they bought it, and asked if I thought it could be reliable transportation for her daughter. I said, “Well, yeah, but it’s kind of a beast to drive.” She asked what I meant by that, and I offered to take them for a ride. We all piled in and I fired her up. “The first issue is that she’s pretty cold-blooded when you first start her up…” as I feathered the throttle for a few seconds until she would idle on her own. “Oh, that’s okay Mom, I can do that!” the daughter interjected. I explained that I had expected that the buyer of this car would probably need to be someone with some mechanical savvy because of its “unique character.” I told her about the Rainier Falcons and the technical expertise among its members. “I can learn from them!” proclaimed the daughter from the back seat. As we drove around the block, the mother told me her late father had been a mechanic, but that she had not inherited his mechanical aptitude. She had inherited his tools, however. “I’m sure the Rainier Falcons would like to get to know you,” I said. She may not have had “mechanical aptitude” but she seemed to know the right questions to ask. (“Are there any rust issues?” I pulled back the driver’s foot well carpet and showed her the ground beneath the car.) By the end of our conversation, the mother and I had pretty much agreed this wouldn’t be a good car for her daughter. “We’ll talk to her dad” the mom said as they departed. The daughter was still pleading passionately with her mother as they drove away.

On another occasion, an older guy (about my age) drove up and was looking at it. He had been at a garage sale down the street and saw it. He was on his cell phone talking to someone, and a few minutes later, his wife showed up. They really liked the car. I showed them the car, explained its modifications and its [challenging] history. He had done restoration work on an old Mustang in the past, so he seemed ideal to perhaps take Freddie to “the next level”. We discussed price, briefly, and he then proposed a trade. He has an antique tractor that he wanted to trade, plus some money, of course…. “I’m not really interested in taking on another project…” was all I could say. I think my wife is still hoping they’ll come through with a money-only offer, but I’m not holding my breath.

We'll probably re-list her on NWAutos, and I'll be taking her to some shows with For Sale signs in the windows. In short, I've still got her, and she's still for sale!
    Gary MacDonald
    ROGER's...
    EX... '63 Hardtop
    Had...
    Scarebird front discs
    200 w/ CI alum head
    C4

Gary - the one place I didn't see listed was the FCA newsletter. Have you considered there too?
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Quote Originally Posted by Luva65wagon View Post
    ...the FCA newsletter. Have you considered there too?
    It's a consideration. I'm still hoping to sell it to someone local. If I sold it through the FCA newsletter, it would be much more likely to be bought by someone... far away.

I do need to get more exposure than just my own neighborhood, though. I will be doing a few shows with the For Sale sign in it.

Funny story... A couple of years ago at the Kla Ha Ya Days show in Snohomish, another entrant approached me and told me he'd seen my car at the big Snohomish show the previous year. He said that he had wanted to meet me that day because he wanted to buy my car. In the meantime, he found a really beautiful '63 Sprint down in California and bought that... which was what he was showing.

Dang.
    Gary MacDonald
    ROGER's...
    EX... '63 Hardtop
    Had...
    Scarebird front discs
    200 w/ CI alum head
    C4

Another Update

Okay, so she is now listed in the FCA Newsletter. See the September issue.

She is also now listed on Cars-On-Line.com.
    http://www.cars-on-line.com/86099.html

I had a guy come out to look at it a couple of weeks ago. He's looking for a Falcon, and signed up on this Forum. He actually contacted me by PM through the Forum. He came out and I took him for a ride. He really liked it, I think, but is considering some other prospects also, and is in the process of developing a place to put whatever he gets.

I showed Freddie (with For Sale signs) at a small show at Molbak's Garden Center (Woodinville) a few weeks ago. A couple of older gals stopped by and seemed really interested. They, also, said they had to do some "remodeling" on their property to have a place to keep it.

I took Freddie for a fairly long drive yesterday. She ran well, and gave me no anxious moments. A couple of minor issues came up that I'll have Randy Long address. There's oil leaking a bit from the base of the dipstick tube, and I think I'm hearing the RF wheel bearing (new) on LH bends.

She's still for sale...
    Gary MacDonald
    ROGER's...
    EX... '63 Hardtop
    Had...
    Scarebird front discs
    200 w/ CI alum head
    C4

Freddie

Quote Originally Posted by MacDee View Post
    Okay, so she is now listed in the FCA Newsletter. Engine has rare Classic Inlines aluminum head.
    I thought that it was interesting that the intake "headers" that lead from the carburetor to the intake manifold on your custom cylinder head appear to have...

MacDees Inline six.jpg

... a lot of similarity to the cylinder head on the slant-six for a Plymouth Valiant.

MacDees Valiant.jpg

I am being complimentary and not critical. Chrysler said that the slant-six layout created more room under the hood and that allowed their engineers to create longer intake paths which acted almost like intake headers that provided a ram effect to the cylinders.
    Last edited by ew1usnr; September 5th, 2016 at 10:29 AM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)

Yes! They are very similar!
    Unfortunately, my engine isn't tilted over to make room for the intake manifold, so the manifold and carburetor are JAMMED tight against the right-side shock tower. I kid you not, you can measure the space between the coolant fitting going into the outboard side of the manifold and the right shock tower with a FEELER GAUGE! We also had to grind a notch in the right-side firewall brace to make some clearance for the secondary float bowl.

Back when I was pre-driving age, I had an older friend who had a Valiant with a slant six... and a four-barrel carburetor. Chrysler actually marketed a four-barrel manifold for the slant six back in the early sixties....
    Gary MacDonald
    ROGER's...
    EX... '63 Hardtop
    Had...
    Scarebird front discs
    200 w/ CI alum head
    C4

Quote Originally Posted by MacDee View Post
    Okay, so she is now listed in the FCA Newsletter.
    I was reading your ad last Friday. I'm debating putting my wagon in there too, before trying local lists, but may wait until late-Winter/early-Spring now. Might be too late in the season at this point to sell a classic car. People want instant gratification of their investment.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"