Thread: Moving forward in spits and sputters

Moving forward in spits and sputters

Well, while not actually having done anything to my '68 SC yet, the parts hunting and planning stages have been moving ahead. My final plans are more or less in-place and I'm just trying to coordinate everything so that once the tear down commences around Sept-Oct '09, each step will more or less {hopefully more and not less, lol} flow from one to the next. I want to be finished no later than late April or early May 2010 as I plan on driving back to Michigan {where I grew up} for the 2010 Detroit Falcon Nationals.

Recently, I finally decided on a powerplant. I was cruising CL and came across a post where a guy was moving to SF and had 1 too many engines and so was giving 1 away for FREE ! Well, I called him right up and made arrangements for me and my son to go down to Ballard the next day to pick it up. What was it you ask ? Well, it's a '69 351W block w/ original crank still in and the stock factory '69 heads. Nothing else came with it but that's ok. It was still FREE and it doesn't appear to have been bored .

I've also decided on a tranny. My ex-bro-in-law are still good buds and he's a tranny builder. About a month or 2 ago, he swapped his original front bumper from his '57 Bel Air {it was pretty dinged up and rusty} for a T-5z from a 94/95 ? mustang cobra-r. He got it to give to me but he's going to go thru it first, adding a titanium nitrated gear cluster ? He says it should be good out to 450HP and 450-500 ft/lbs-TQ {my 351w should be about 350hp and 380tq when done}. Since I don't know jack about trannys, it sounds pretty impressive, lol, but it sounds like I shouldn't break it. Now you're probably thinking, "Wait ! Now that guy needs a bumper for his '57 !", right ? Nope. In '00, for Christmas, I got him an original one that had been straightened and triple chromed and I got it for a pittance of what it was worth at a swap meet.

Body and Paint are more than likely {he wants to inspect the car 1st before accepting the job} going to be done by a fellow Falconer-Body-Paint fella over in Spangle.
    Going to replace the front buckets with a set from a 94/95 t-bird, in black cloth. Redo the rest of the interior in black.
    Complete front end rebuild kit from Laurel Mountain Mustang.
    9" nodular posi rear from a '79 ford econoline that my same bro-in-law put together.
    All new electrical wiring {havent decided on a supplier yet}
    and a few other items yet to be decided.

Oh, the body color is going to be Emerald Green Metallic.

Spits and spurts but progress is progress. Jon
    Last edited by 68FalconSC; November 30th, 2008 at 05:05 AM. Reason: sp
    Jonathon Hass
    Stanwood, WA.
    '68 Falcon Sports Coupe

hey...you've done more than me

i'm going to put 3 of my cars into storage...just so i have some room to work on the others.....least thats the plan
    "Never under any circumstances, take a laxative and a sleeping pill at the same time !!"

Quote Originally Posted by justahairFalconloopy View Post
    hey...you've done more than me

i'm going to put 3 of my cars into storage...just so i have some room to work on the others.....least thats the plan
    Sounds like you at least have some form of garage/shop area. I'll have to find a small spot to maybe rent or something for the tear down/build up of my car. There's a really old small 1 car garage here, but nothing I'd trust to attempt to try to put my bird into. It needs a lot of work and since I rent, I won't fix it unless the landlord takes it off my rent {yeah, RIGHT ! good one, lol}
    Jonathon Hass
    Stanwood, WA.
    '68 Falcon Sports Coupe