Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Part Out Party - Part Two

Part Out Party - Part Two

Just a quick mention that a couple of us plan to be heading back over to Sequim on Saturday to visit Steve at his powder-coat shop - and so I can pick up a few parts I left behind at his house and hack off a couple pieces I didn't get to hack off last time we were there. Nothing at all like the last part out party.

If anyone is interested in visiting a powder coat shop -- Steve will be doing my rear axle housing, backing plates, and my Gene donated 5-lug wheels (in red). We may be doing a couple parts for Patrick if they get here in time. We we're hoping for a few more parts from other people to make it worth firing up the bake ovens.

We'll be leaving bright and early Saturday morning -- so if you have anything you want coated - speak now or forever hold your peace.

I think right now we have room for two more people - assuming Gene still wants to go... and drive. If it's just us two, we may consider driving my pickup over - since Steve has a friend who may have an interest in it. And Gene, you are also free to do something else if you need to.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Yes get your parts to Roger, this is your chance for some CHEAP powder coating. All labor and equipment use is free just going to pass a donation plate to recoup powder costs. Any donation is fine I realy don't care that much, I just want to help the club out because you all have help me so much so far. (lot more help will be needed I am sure)
    SO come on over or send it over... Jeff what about your wheels???

steve, I have two small trim parts for the dash of my 51 ford truck that are potmetal and are chrome, can you powder over or does the chrome need to come off ? I bead blasted the small one and it don't look bad, but not the larger one, I like the chrome powder you showed me last summer..thanks john h

Okay, I guess I could come watch the process, if nothing else. I may think of something to pull off one of the money-vacuum twins. The grill's really not straight enough to do yet.
    If it's running, take it apart and see why.

Quote Originally Posted by doghows View Post
    Jeff what about your wheels???
    They need to be blasted. I stood in front of my little cabinet for about two hours just to mostly finish one... During the process my vacuum bag ripped and I didn't notice for some time. When I finally did glance up, I was surprised I couldn't see my clock... dusty!

With the weather the way it is and being slammed at work, I'd have a hard time getting them to Roger in time.

I'm certainly not in a rush, I bet Roger will have more to do after he sees your results, I'll get in on the second batch... or just pay you shop rates.

I'm still planning to go. I'm very interested to see the process Steve's gonna show us. I'm going to get my spare tire dismounted if I get time and take it to be coated also. I can either take my truck or you can take yours.... doesn't matter to me. I just volunteered so others could go and only take one vehicle.

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

Gene - I don't need to bring my truck over there now, so if you are willing to drive -- I'll get the ferries and breakfast (and lunch, and dinner, and...).

Hoping the weather doesn't turn too rough. How's the snow on the west side there Steve? Mild here tonight, but who knows what the day will bring.

FWIW, I've got 4WD and studs on all 4s, but would not be able to haul much of the other stuff back - only some of it. We can get creative stuffing stuff in, I guess. But that is an option. As long as we get the stuff off the other cars I want to keep from going away so you can get rid of the rest, you'll be happy - right?

I think I'd also like to trim a big piece of sheet-metal off the other wagon, just for spare patch panel material. Like the part that's flipped over.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

Oh, and I'll be at the office tomorrow (may be by myself there for all I know) - so if anyone wants to deliver stuff there they can call me first -- or drive over to my house during the day and put stuff into the back of the Ranchero in my carport - with their name and color they want on it. We'll get it there and back to you.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

Quote Originally Posted by Luva65wagon View Post
    and my Gene
    I want some of him too!

Well the snow bit us in the A** yesterday. Got about 8" out at my place and about 6" in town. The Highway is mostly clear a few icy spots. Surface streets are solid sheets of ice. I made it to work (thank god for the ovens) and I expect to see the main highway clear today. I heard a rumor of some snow or rain showers maybe Sat. morning?? But I am still ready, just have to clear some snow to get at the parts cars.
    Jeff whenever you or anyone else in the club is ready I will gladly coat your stuff for cheap. As long as we are not ordering special colors or things of that nature we are fine. I have about 125 colors in stock so shouldn't be a problem.
    I will keep an eye out on the roads and conditions and keep you posted.

I don't have studs on all four, but I do have 4x4 since the last time we went, so I'll plan on driving. I'm sure Steve's going to have the roads cleared for us b/4 we get there.
    Last edited by SmithKid; February 24th, 2011 at 10:50 AM.

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

So it has been snowing here all day. Not bad but about another 2-3" so far. Tomorrow is suppose to be sunny all day but on about 38 degrees. Hopefully the roads will melt off. Not sure what your conditions are over there. Sounds like the snow won't be until you get to Kingston.
    Any how I am still a go so unless you guys say other wise I will expect you around 9:30ish like last time.

John; sorry I missed your post. As long as the chrome is good and not pealing off. If there is any pitting in the metal that would need to be fixed first. I would not use the chrome powder for exterior use as it is not UV stable. It requires a clear coat to protect it and that clear coat dulls down the shine very bad. Looks more like brushed aluminum then...
    Last edited by doghows; February 24th, 2011 at 12:57 PM.

Here are the latest conditions: COLD; Highway is clear should dry off with the sun today. About 6" of snow left at the house maybe I will get lucky and some of it will melt today.
    Looks like some snow or rain Saturday afternoon?? So I think if you guys are up for it should not be to bad to travel over. I have everything set so just let me know for sure. Thanks Steve..

It's clear and cold here - I think if we get no more precipitation (in any form) then the roads between here and there will be fine. There's plenty of traffic to dry 'em out.

I got the tires off the two rims that had tires - and almost died in the process. It was snowing in white-out form about 5:30 last night (after sand-blasting all the parts) and I decided to stop at the Les Schwab on the north end of the lake in Kenmore. I'm sitting in the center lane trying to get over against traffic - waiting for kindness to arrive. Finally I'm given some of that and I start sneaking across 3-lanes of roadway. It really is hard to see 20-feet and I get into the bus lane and I realize as I get there a bus has arrived -- seemingly out of nowhere and it is doing its full 40+ miles an hour - snow or no snow. All I can say is I am thankful for studded tires. Any slippage last night and you'd have been voting in a new president.

Anyway, the guys at the tire store saw it all and pulled the tires off for free. Hence maintaining a balance in the universe.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"