Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Tech day part 3

Roger, looks great! Sent you a PM with my address but did you get it? Did not seem like it would send??? Let me know. Thanks again and again😃
    IMG_0456cropthumb

I hope by now that carburetor is over on the other side of the pond. Would just hate it if that didn't make it there in one piece... or at all. Please let me know.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Yes it made it all in one piece today 😊Miles has to work tomorrow but he should have enough time to put it on😊 Thanks again, I'll keep you posted, can't wait to go for a cruise!!!!🚕
    IMG_0456cropthumb

No good news to report, the one I got in the mail would not start the car. Miles took the top off the other one and put it on the new one and the car starts. I don't recall the peticulars as what was funky that made him switch tops. So it runs at high speeds ok but is chalumpy at lower speeds, runs very rough. We are investigating jet sizes but really not sure. One site said to run it 20 minutes and check the color of the plugs. If they were white to size the jet up and if they were black size down.Well the plug was white so now to find jets???? I have no idea if we are on the right path.😁That's all for now.
    IMG_0456cropthumb

We're you able to drive it or just run it in the driveway? Just curious if it has any power under load?
    Also did Miles mess with the air fuel adjustment? Might be able to fatten it up that way before you swap jets ( if you can find any).
    Just a thought keep us posted.
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

We went down the highway, runs ok and no sputtering at 40 to 50 miles an hour but misses bad at all speeds under 40 or so.He adjusted everything that could be.
    IMG_0456cropthumb

Do you have a vacuum gauge in you arsenal? You could use that and "tune" the carb till you have max vacume.
    Sounds like the valves may need tweeting after all....
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

No I don't, I've never heard of that tool. I am going to search for a shop close by to do the valves unless Roger gets here first. I was gonna have Miles try doing it but he needs to do the head gasket SOON on the Falcon and he does so much for his momma already! Did you ever get a recommendation from anybody in Rakers?
    IMG_0456cropthumb

Nothing super gleaming, they were all this guy is good but.... So I'll keep looking. I have a customer of mine that does have a big shop here in Sequim but his prices are a bit high. He helped me fix a small issue when I first got my Delivery running.. But I always have powder coating to trade out..
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

It's hard to imagine why it didn't run. The top on the other one was pretty warped, but I found extra-thick gaskets - so maybe Miles used the new one.

I hope Miles knows how to adjust the fuel mixture. And I'd still check the valves before proceeding any further.

I wish I could work out getting over there sooner rather than later, but it is looking probably the weekend of the 28th. Any of those days (including Fri the 28th) work?

Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

I work on the 28th but have the week-end off, I will keep you posted of any progress.
    IMG_0456cropthumb

I'm wondering to myself last night (as I'm proceeding to pull my entire motor out of my station wagon after finally determining it has problems) whether the "plug" I put into the top of that new carburetor is the thing that caused it to run bad. These carbs used to have a vent that would open up on acceleration and I'm lacking some of the plugs they've been putting into these rather than installing the vents (almost all rebuilds plugs this port). I opted to use a 1/4" chrome Allen screw and block that port tight - thinking the vent in the venturi would be plenty to feed the float bowl. But maybe not.

Also, these carbs are prone to stick the float valve, which is why you almost always see the tops all beat up. Might be while shipping it the seat stuck because of how it was sitting while in transit - and fuel pressure didn't pop it open.

I'll see how it works out for the first of March. Do you have undercover area to work on this - or is it out on the driveway?

Steve, I may be bringing you out a bunch of stuff to coat for me too from my wagon.
    Last edited by Luva65wagon; February 18th, 2014 at 10:02 PM.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"