Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Freddie's Transplant

Quote Originally Posted by redfalken View Post
    Most people say to get your timing down before you even start to mess with air/fuel (carbs in our case) and it sounds like you have that down.
    Yeah, since "factory specs" doesn't mean anything with this engine, I use the vacuum gauge method: Set the timing at idle (set as low as possible) so you just get maximum vacuum, then back off the timing until the vacuum drops 2 in Hg. When I do this, it usually comes out about 12 deg BTDC (though it's kinda hard to check now with the multi-spark Street Fire ignition!).
    Gary MacDonald
    ROGER's...
    EX... '63 Hardtop
    Had...
    Scarebird front discs
    200 w/ CI alum head
    C4

Gary,

With what time you've driven and run this - have you read the plugs yet? Wet, black, tan, white?
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Like Kenny, depending on availability, I'm always up for tech days. One of the best way to learn.
    Last edited by SmithKid; March 13th, 2012 at 11:30 AM.

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

Quote Originally Posted by SmithKid View Post
    Like Kenny, depending on availability, I'm always up for tech days. one of the best way to learn.
    Agreed - just need to post a thread with some dates in the announcements section and we can decide on when. We can only fit so many under one hood - but maybe more heads are better with this one.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Quote Originally Posted by Luva65wagon View Post
    With what time you've driven and run this - have you read the plugs yet? Wet, black, tan, white?
    I've had the plugs out, but I couldn't seem to "read" anything! They're... ambiguous? It's been a while, though. Perhaps I can go out tonight and pull a couple.
    Gary MacDonald
    ROGER's...
    EX... '63 Hardtop
    Had...
    Scarebird front discs
    200 w/ CI alum head
    C4

So what does that mean?? they are either white, tan or black. I have never seen a plug that color....jh

You've never seen the color ambiguous?

Gary - would be worth pulling them all and heck - maybe even shoot a picture of them in good light and posting it.

When I first got the Flarechero running, Gene and I were out in the garage, but it was dead of Winter and I only opened my little side-door. Man we were choked out with fumes like we were next to a nitro funny car. OK, not that bad, but almost. The plugs were wet and black - meaning I was running real rich. Turned out to be the carb was totally messed up, but reading the plugs showed me that. White means the thing is running very lean. Like seeing new plugs. It's probably run long enough that some may be going tan - which is ideal. If you plugs are real new, they may be only wet if running real rich, but it doesn't take long for plugs to get written all over.

I hate Holleys when it comes to tuning them. A Carter/Edelbrock with the removable needles made this a breeze to play with. I have the kit - as well as a carb laying around that I pulled off the black truck. It needs to be opened up and looked at (which is why it got replaced when I got stranded in Des Moines with it. New carb was cheaper than the hassle of a tow... almost). If you want to try it - we could bring it to the tech day. That'll give me a chance to do a little autopsy on it first. It had just been rebuilt, but these things are too big to dunk in a gallon can of carb cleaner and I only did it with a spray-can of Berrymans.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"