Thread: Ignition Cylinder Stuck

Ignition Cylinder Stuck

I finally got my gremlins worked out and now my key won't turn the ignition lock cylinder. It was working fine up until a few days ago. It slowly got more and more finicky with each start until it would not turn at all.

I figured it was the tumblers hanging up so I quirted some lube in there and taped it with a mallet, still no luck. Inspected my keys, nothing is broken on any of them.

Any other tricks out there before I have to bring it to a locksmith?
    Brian
    '67 Falcon Bus/240/C4/Offy DP/MSD Duraspark II/Holley 4160

Have you stuck a paperclip in the hole and removed the inside tumbler?

Turn to "Accessory" position first, inset paper clip in tiny hole, continue slowly turning counterclockwise as you gently pull out on the key. At some point the inside cylinder should pop out. Maybe you'll see something going on there.

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

Quote Originally Posted by redfalken View Post
    Have you stuck a paperclip in the hole and removed the inside tumbler?
    Brian, you may have trouble doing this if he can't turn the key backwards, much-less forwards. It may actually be the switch and not the tumblers. Sadly Ford didn't want you to be able to remove the switch from under the dash without first removing the tumbler.

You may have to disconnect the battery, pull the wires off the back, and then destroy the switch from behind (pull the plastic part of the switch from off the housing) to let the switch part fall away. Then the switch may turn. I've got a few switch housings if you need another.

So... here's a big "good luck" to you Brian.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"