Thread: Generator and starter restoration

Generator and starter restoration

Out of town for the holidays now....the forum is the only thing keeping me from falcon withdrawal...
    Any advice on generator or starter restoration?
    I prefer to keep them. Quite a but of rust though. Gen pic attached...starter looks almost the same. Any chance the guts come out easily so the case can be blasted and painted?
    Also...my Dad says I should rebuild both of them...while they are out. They both seemed to work ok before. Are there any specific parts I should look at to see if they look worn?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Don - The field coils can be removed from the housing using the square drive you see on the side. Hopefully they come out. You might do better just to get a good wire and/or Rolox wheels and get it as good as you can so as to not risk breaking a wire inside. Things can be pretty fragile in there after 50 years.

Generators are an easy rebuilt otherwise. Assuming it was working before the only big issue is how much wear is on the commutator (where the brushes run) and whether the bushing need to be replaced. Brushes can get chewed away to nothing, but so can the commutator. That also usually means the brushes were arcing - a possible indication another failure. There might be a short somewhere or the brushes wore down to nubs and could no longer apply hard pressure against the commutator.

Checking the parts are not always easy. Checking the windings and armature require applying current to them to check for shorts and such. I used to deliver parts for a parts house and spent a lot of time at a local (Sacramento) starter/gen/alternator rebuilder. They taught me a lot about this.

But again, if it was charging well before, you can usually assume it will again once you clean it all up and put new brushes in it.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"