Thread: 64 Ranchero rear leaf springs

64 Ranchero rear leaf springs

I have a 64 falcon ranchero and need to replace the rear spring bushings etc. I need to remove the spring perch bracket that attaches to the frame at the top of the rear spring shackle to get the bolts out because it is too close to the gas tank.

The bolts that go through the upper shackle plate to the frame member is in a boxed unit. Does anyone know if the nuts are captured or welded in place. I'd hate to get them loose or out and not be able to get to the top to put a wrench on them and retighten?!
    none

If I understand which ones you are talking about, they are a captured nut, BUT soak them well with penetrating fluid because when I took mine out the captured nut spun. Then you have to bend the little tab on the front of the "box" to see the captured nuts. I actually bent my little tabs down, sprayed them down before I tried to get them out.
    Hope that helps and good luck.
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

Thanks, great info I was also wondering how high I need to jack up the rear to get the springs a full release of tension and if I need to take the shocks loose etc.
    none

Jack it up take off the tires, put jack stands under the sub frame in front of the axle then lower the car. The weight of the car will be on the sub frame and the axle can then droop. Use your jack just to hold the weight of the axle, undo it all then lower the axle with the jack. And yes undo the shocks from the lower spring plate and your good.
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

Thanks for the info,

Nice delivery.
    none