Thread: old brakes

old brakes

I have a 64 ranchero with the old 4 wheel 9" drums..I noticed none of the brakes have the shoe slides (the ones on the pin). I ground a washer to check clearance and with that, the springs won't fit the pin. the question is, did these brakes ever have the slides? it doesn't seem right to me, but maybe that was the design.

Can you post a pic? I think I know what you are looking for but want to be sure before the wrong opinion is issued. (wow I sound like a lawyer?) Thanks Steve

I think I know what you are talking about too, but a picture would be worth a thousand words. Maybe you can find one on-line using Google Image Search similar to what you are asking about.

If you are referring to the upper retaining washer, which keeps the two shoes aligned behind the 2 springs hooked to the upper pivot, then no, I do not believe the 9" brakes had these. The upper pivot has to have a step in it for a washer to rest at the exact height as the outer brake shoe surface needs to be.

I think this link shows what you are asking about:

http://www.cjponyparts.com/brake-sho...1973/p/HW1236/
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"