Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New project wireing problem

Looks like I have a flat flange, But I can cut it off and put a donut type on I'll give you a call
    Olgraybeard

I got my Mazda alternator mount made and mounted, I'll wire it and rewire the ignition circuit tomorrow I'm using a ballast resistor instead of stock resistor wire (cheaper and easier to find any problems).

Last edited by olgraybeard; October 10th, 2012 at 06:35 PM. Reason: because
    Olgraybeard

Here is how I'm going to wire my van to get rid of the shorted out and expensive resistor wire and add a ballast resistor 1.7 ohms from Schucks and add the Mazda alternator. I'll let you know if I get smoke!!

Olgraybeard

The above diagram works, the Chevy 100 amp alternator I used on my Ranchero was also wired up the same way. The Mazda alternator is a 65 amp. I'm not running a amplifier on my stereo in the van so that is more than enough.
    Olgraybeard

Is it running yet???

It's running and charging, stomped on the brakes when putting it up on ramps and blew a brake line, all lines steel and rubber have to be replaced master cylinder works good and shoes are good. No second gear in tranny looking for a good CHEAP one.I think I have a vacuum leak engine runs good with choke pulled out. Engine doesn't smoke, I don't know about oil pressure no gauge yet, water temp is good. Got a new to me radiator from another member mine leaked badly. All and all happy camper. Now if I can score a short shaft 3 speed manual tranny.
    Olgraybeard

I don't have one of those, but maybe Brian (BPVan) will check in, he might know where to get one or maybe even have one?? He pulled a bunch of parts off of a Van a few weeks ago at a local pick and pull, might even be a thread on here from that. Maybe it is still there, the tranny that is?
    I will keep my eyes open, I want to switch mine to an auto so if I find that I will have my transmission available..
    Keep at it I like the econo pick ups...

You guys are as plugged in online as I am but I will keep an eye out for one. The one tranny I found was pretty bad so I left it. Could also be the time to change out to something else?
    Brian
    '67 Falcon Bus/240/C4/Offy DP/MSD Duraspark II/Holley 4160

Found vacuum leak,gasket under carb was broken. It now idles good. Broke 3 bolts getting cracked exhaust manifold off. Fixing them is next on list. Another site suggested I check the shifter linkage before pulling trans so I'll do that. Previous owner replaced steering column and steering box so maybe linkage is out of adjustment.
    Olgraybeard

Made some good progress, I adjusted the linkage the 2-3 shift rod was out 1/2" and the bushing with Zerk fitting had no lube but it was clean so I filled it with grease. I think those were my problems, it shifts alot easier and seems like the 2-3 arm goes more forward also it goes between gates easier. I won't know for sure until I can drive it but it is going into every gear with engine off. On the broken bolts on the exhaust manifold I had to drill and tap one of them. The easyout wouldn't move it. The next one I welded a nut to the stub that was sticking out and while it was still hot I was able to back it out. I'll weld a nut on the last one also but it started rain again so I had to stop. I'll will be a happy camper if the shift linkage solves my tranny problems.
    Olgraybeard

Well 5 hours later I finally got the last broken bolt out and the original threads chased and found out I left the exhaust manifold in my wife van, so I guess this is a good place to stop (it started to rain again). I have to work tomorrow so hopefully I'll hit it Saturday.
    Olgraybeard

Keep at it, I am trying to run mine out of gas so I can fix the sender unit. The never ending battles...