Thread: Need stock 3 speed for 144cu in Econoline

Need stock 3 speed for 144cu in Econoline

Well I finally got to do a maiden run in my 63 econoline pickup and found out I have no 2nd gear, so does anyone have a good stock 3 speed for a econoline kicking around. I'll have to take another look but I pretty sure these are different than the cars and Rancheros (no tailshaft) and trans body is about twice as long.
    And of course the radiator leaks like a sieve. But the engine runs good, electrical works now Brakes work but all the lines have to be replaced. One step forward . . .
    Last edited by olgraybeard; October 14th, 2012 at 07:53 AM.
    Olgraybeard

Looked at it again today trans body looks the same as car/Ranchero but the tailshaft is allot shorter (about 15" shorter) and they call the tailshaft a extension shaft. So it would be allot easier if I can find another Econoline transmission
    Olgraybeard

Not sure what radiator fits but I have a used 2 row out of my 65 convertible that is available. It didn't leak or anything I just went with a 3 row....seemed to work fine. If you need it you can have it...for free. I am in the Buckley/Enumclaw area if you are interested.

Hal

Hal, radiator in the Econoline is 18" wide x 20" tall how big is yours. I'm very interested if it is small enough.
    Last edited by olgraybeard; October 13th, 2012 at 04:43 AM.
    Olgraybeard

Looks like it might be a fit....I believe it is a standard radiator for the falcon and mustang.
    It is 18" wide measured across where the actual core is...not including the flange where it would be mounted.
    It is 20" tall if I measure from the bottom of the radiator to the top of the inlet....the dome part is a little taller.

Both the inlet and outlet is on the passenger side.

It is just an old radiator but didn't leak or anything. My car runs cool even with the two row....I just wanted a 3 row and picked up on pretty cheap.

It is your if you want it....would be nice to be put to use verses me just scrapping it.

PM me if you want more information.

Hal

Hal, you have a PM
    Last edited by olgraybeard; October 13th, 2012 at 09:44 AM.
    Olgraybeard

Yep...got it and replied. Hopefully I did it correctlly. You should now have my address and cell number. If you don't get it I will give you a call.

Hal

I remember that my dad had a 63 pickup that had a glass rack on both sides and we hauled tons of glass and tool boxes in the back and it went through he** as a work truck, but it had syncro in 1st gear which I wish I had in my falcon befor the C-4....jh

Well I got everything back together today, replaced exhaust manifold, new starter back on, alternator, replaced front right brake line, got emergency brake working and replaced radiator with one out of a mustang (didn't realize that the mounting flanges were different also bottom connection is on opposite side. Longer radiator hose took care of that, jury rigged mounting until Tuesday because I wanted to see if transmission worked. Transmission worked and shifts like butter after adjusting the linkage, I'm a very happy camper.Manifold starter/alternator were mostly done yesterday. Hope to get it registered this week.
    Olgraybeard

What side are the hose connections on (top and bottom)? I have the radiator from my V-8 Falcon that you could have if it'll work. Wasn't leaking, I just wanted the bling of a new aluminum one.

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

on my Enonoline pickup 1 1/2 top connection on right side and 1 3/4 on left side. On the mustang 1 1/2 on right and 1 3/4 on right. I guessing your Falcon is the same as the Mustang although the Mustang was a v8
    Olgraybeard

Both connections are on the passenger side in my car. I think some Mustangs (newer) had the lower hose on the driver side. I neede to stay with my '65 style water pump rather than the newer one to make the connections properly to the 302.
    Last edited by SmithKid; November 4th, 2012 at 09:56 PM.

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

I replaced my econoline radiator with an all aluminum off of ebay, it works great. I also opted for the connections to both be on the passenger side I have a 240). You can get the right size radiator still its just that the mounting flanges will be on the wrong side. I over came this with new speed nuts, longer bolts, and aluminum tube I cut as a 3" spacer.

My next mod is a Spal fan kit and thermostat. I have the pieces, now just need a little time...
    Brian
    '67 Falcon Bus/240/C4/Offy DP/MSD Duraspark II/Holley 4160

Great minds think alike I'm doing the same only steel 1/4 ips steel pipe spacers as soon as I get rid of voltage regulator, it in the way right now (its not being used, I went with a one wire Alternator with a built in regulator)
    Olgraybeard

I second that, I also went to a one wire! I raised my doghouse 2.5" to accomodate my Offy/Holley 390 setup. In the process I eliminated anything that was attached to the doghouse including the regulator and I moved the coil and starter relay to different locations.
    Brian
    '67 Falcon Bus/240/C4/Offy DP/MSD Duraspark II/Holley 4160