Rainier Falcons > The FalconForum  

Go Back   Rainier Falcons > The FalconForum > General Forums > Tech Talk

Old 01-05-2009, 06:22 AM
oldford63

Smile Leaf Spring Q

Happy New Year to all.

I am planning to install new leaf springs on my 63. Ordering them today from Dearborn Classics because they dropped the shipping charges for January.

My question is: How can I keep the rear axile in the same place? Will it move one way are the other during installation? Or will it install back in the same spot front to back? I do not want to be going down the street out of square.

This will be my first leaf spring install,
Thanks
Old 01-05-2009, 09:52 AM
Administrator

There are pins in the spring that line up with holes in the rear end pads to locate the axle. You don't need to worry about it. Be sure to replace your bushings and U bolts at the same time.

Old 01-05-2009, 06:07 PM
Super Moderator

Start spraying the shackle and front bushing nuts with penetrating oil now so it has a week to work loosening the rust. I had to cut the front bots on my '63 with a saws all to get them off (no room for a torch). My convertible's front mount is a bit different set-up than your four door.

Also be sure to support the rear end so you don't put excessive stress on the rubber brake hose that connects the rigid lines between the body and the rear housing.

Even with my bolt situation, the replacement only took a couple of hours. Have fun.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:50 PM
oldford63

Smile

Jeff, Pat,

Thanks for you guy's help. Puts that little extra confidence in my mind to go after it. I'll get the liquid wrench out tomorrow and be sure to watch my brake hoses.

Guy
Old 01-06-2009, 11:27 PM
Chapter President

If you can find a product called Kroil, you won't break any bolts. This product is great for loosening rusted stuff.

Also, make sure you measure between the center of the front mount bolt and the center-line of the rear axle and compare this measurement to the new leaf springs before you tear things apart -- just in case. Would be a drag to find they sent you the wrong parts after you've taken it all apart.

63 "Flarechero"